Friday, November 10, 2017

All Wrapped Up

Look who's getting wrapped up in my work!  My little buddy is helping me show my "finish" for this week, the first of four Christmas quilts.  It's only a flimsy so far.
Here it is on the bed, complete with baby model.
I started this quilt just before the Ties that Bind retreat two weeks ago, and made the rest of the blocks at the retreat.  I set the blocks together and added borders during my grandson's naps this week.
Now for a closeup.  The pattern is Sticks and Stones, by Bonnie Hunter, available HERE for free.  I made a total of 56 blocks, half with red squares, the other half with green.  My version is slightly bigger than Bonnie's.
I'll take better pictures when it's quilted.
This is the box of cut pieces I took to the retreat.  Three future quilts are hiding in here.


This was my station at the retreat.  I used the Jones hand crank to make the 4 pointed star blocks.  I got all 42 done at the retreat, and am working on setting them together.
I'm excited to have at least this much done, especially since things have really changed in my life.  My daughter got a full time job, so now I have a full time babysitting gig with a 17 month old.  Going from part time to full time is a challenge, but very much worth it.  We're finding new fun things to do, like taking pictures of grandma's quilt and rearranging the blocks in the star quilt.  He has an absolutely maniacal laugh, and I can't help laughing too, even when he's taking off down the hall with a row of quilt blocks.
Guess what else happened--I WON a lovely stack of fat quarters from Brooke at Silly Mama Quilts!  The Fed Ex man brought them just as I was packing up the car for the retreat.  Here they are, laid out by my featherweight.
Now what am I going to make out of these lovelies?
Can't wait to find out.
Have a fun filled week.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
I'm linking up as usual with Crazy Mom Quilts and Busy Hands Quilts.






13 comments:

  1. Great photos with the grandboy! He's a cutie, for sure. And I love the ACLU sticker on your machine! Are you using that to mark your quarter inch line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! Yes, that's my seam guide. It's a refrigerator magnet. No problem using magnets on old machines!

      Delete
  2. The cutest picture with your grandson all wrapped up in your lovely quilt! I like this pattern--thanks for the link hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that the small box has the makings for three quilts, and the idea of putting parts in a box like that ready for retreat. The parts look all cut up and ready to be sewn together to create some beautiful things. Your quilt top is gorgeous, and your grandson is so helpful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to see the Jones machine. I learnt to sew on one and brought it to Canada when we emigrated there over 50 years ago. Have not used mine in ages. Reminds me I should try it again.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah! I really love my Jones, she has been my most reliable hand crank machine. I named her Grace, for the actress from the 70s. (I have no imagination.)

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the fabric win and the new, full-time job! You're a very lucky grandma. Use this internet thingy to find more fun things to do. (Mommy blogs are pretty good places to start.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! We've been going to story time at the library for a couple of months, plus building with blocks, and of course reading. The other day Grandpa got the train set out. It was easier to do things outside when it wasn't so cold. I do like the mommy blogs. Some good recipes there, too.

      Delete
  6. We're leading parallel lives. Library storytimes, playing with grandchildren and sewing during nap times. How blessed are we? Your quilt top is lovely and even better with the happy baby enjoying it! Congrats on your win! It's especially fun playing with free fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! I feel like I hit the lottery every day. Have fun with your little ones!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!