Saturday, April 21, 2018

Dinosaurs and Little Lambs

This was the view out my sewing room window last Sunday.  It's an April snowstorm.  We got yet ANOTHER one on Wednesday, and even had to cancel our quilt guild meeting.  What the heck, Winter?  Why won't you go away?
In between bouts of railing about the weather, I finished this little quilt.
It's a dinosaur quilt!   I borrowed my grandson's dinosaurs for illustration purposes.
Here's the quilt laid out on the table.  It's small, only 38 in. square.  This one will be donated to the Little Lambs Foundation, for kids going into foster care, emergency shelters, or hospitals.  It's part of my participation in Hands 2 Help.  I'm actually ahead of schedule, they're not due until the end of May.

The inspiration was the fabulous fabric, Jurassic Jamboree by Abi Hall.  I think it's out of print now, but I bought a charm pack at a recent quilt show.
I used an old favorite pattern, Highland Fling from the book Dessert Roll Quilts by Pam and Nicky Lintott.
The squares "lean" left and right, depending on how the triangles are cut.  I've seen this design done a different way, set straight and then cut, which wastes a lot of fabric.  Not with this pattern!
This is all the waste left from 5 blocks.  The blocks are sliver-trimmed after they are sewn.

I paired each light square with dark fabric, and each dark square with light fabric.  But I was one short on the light squares.  What to do?
This happy T-Rex was cut from the backing fabric.  I think he fits right in.
The quilting is mindlessly simple, just straight vertical lines.  It should fold fairly flat and stand up to lots of washing.
Still waiting for spring here.  But I'm sewing while I'm waiting, so that's okay.
What's under the needle at your house?
Have a lovely week.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Busy Hands Quilts, and Crazy Mom Quilts.














8 comments:

  1. What a sweet little quilt! This one is sure to brighten the day of a little person. I like those leaning squares and this reminds me to use that technique again. My method uses my Tri-Recs ruler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Louise. I never thought of the Tri-Recs ruler, even though I have one. Got to get that out again, it's a good one.

      Delete
  2. I think is was a great idea to use a piece of the backing fabric for the last light square. It looks great with the orange fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! Aren't these friendly dinosaurs a hoot?

      Delete
  3. Okay, I was ready the comments and saw the Tri-Recs ruler. Of course I read that T-Rex having those cute dinosaurs on my mind and thinking what a coincidence. ???
    Anyway, the quilt is adorable, dinosaurs and all. Some little kid will be comforted by your generous donation. Thanks for caring so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the smile this morning, Mary! Now I'm always going to think of it as the T-rex ruler!

      Delete
  4. Cute little quilt, sure to be well loved!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!