Sunday, October 7, 2018

Beat the Clock




 Long, long ago, when I was a child, there was a TV show called Beat the Clock, where people tried to do impossible things before the buzzer sounded.  I don't remember much about it, but I have felt like I was on that show this week.
I don't think I actually beat that clock, but I did get a few things done in spite of time constraints.  This little quilt got quilted by Friday evening, and bound last night.
The pattern is the Fat Quarter Cubes Shortcut Quilt, from the Fat Quarter Quilt Shop, and you can get the free pattern here.  (Scroll down the page til you see it.)
I changed it a little (of course.  I just can't help it).  The cuts in the original are based on 6.5 in. strips.  I cut my pieces from 5 in. strips, so my blocks are smaller.  Plus I forgot to change the block orientation of every other block, so my layout is a tad boring.  The quilting is horizontal lines in the blocks and width-of-the-presser-foot lines in the sashing.
Here's the backing.  The print fabric is a Curious George print I've had for years.  (I actually made it the background for a bulletin board at one of my libraries.)  I had to add a panel of blue print in the middle to make it wide enough.  My quilt measures 44 in. x 58 in.  It will be donated to a child in need.
In other news, we went to an antique mall yesterday, and I scored all this fabric!  Sometimes there is fabric at the malls, sometimes not, so you just take your luck as you find it.
These pieces are vintage.  The top 3 are feedsacks.  I wasn't going to buy any more feedsacks, but the price was right so home they came.
This is my favorite piece--John Deere tractor fabric!  I'm planning a pillowcase for my Little Buddy, who loves tractors.  When we sing Old MacDonald, he has to add in a tractor that goes Vroom Vroom here and Vroom Vroom there.
Little Buddy gets to be in my blog all the time.  This week, it's big brother's turn.  This is my oldest grandson, who was an usher at a wedding last week.  Isn't he handsome?  I admit to being partial.

We went to the orchard on Thursday and got apples to eat and pears to can.  I've got half of the pears done...
but here's what's left.  So I'd better get back to it.
I'm wishing you health and happiness this week.  And every week!

Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up (late!) with
Cynthia at Oh Scrap
Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts
Angela at So Scrappy  
and Myra at Busy Hands Quilts

Aren't link ups fun? 









4 comments:

  1. Lovely little quilt. So colorful and happy!

    I miss my pear tree and having canned pears. They look so pretty lined up there in your kitchen.

    Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! A pear tree sounds wonderful. I'm not sure I could keep up with one, though. Just canning this bushel has taken days.

      Delete
  2. Great quilt. So bright and colourful. A great gift for a child in need.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!