Friday, December 14, 2018

Tis the Season

I must confess, this used to be me.  I was a Grinch at Christmas.  Mainly, this was because I was a working mom with a job I obsessed over (school librarian, K-8, at two schools), living with a family that still wasn't used to me being back at work and not home all the time.
My life was already maxed out.  Christmas just made everything ten times worse.  Every one of my three kids needed a present and/or cookies for everything they belonged to--scouts, sports, clubs, etc., and nobody seemed to be able to tell me these things until the night before they were due.  And then there was the decorating, the shopping, the wrapping, Christmas cards, and all the crazy pressure to make the holidays "perfect".
Well, I'm not perfect.  I cracked.  I complained.  I even said I hated Christmas.  Definitely a grinch.  Maybe my heart shrunk, I don't know.
Eventually,  I learned to slow it down a little, and to skip some things and delegate others.  My kids grew up, and instead of everybody stressing out and spending a fortune, we decided to draw names among the adults and limit the amount of money spent on the present (we're up to $25 as of this year).  Our focus is on spending time celebrating together.  Oh, and eating.  Lots of eating. 
Things are better, and I'm enjoying the holidays again.  I now think of Christmastime as a season, not just one day, and we do little fun things as we go along from Thanksgiving to New Years Day.
This week, we finally put up the tree.  Little Buddy loved helping.  (A few ornaments may have been slightly harmed in the process, but we're okay with that.)  The first thing he does when he gets here in the morning is flip the switch to turn on the tree lights, even if it's bright and sunny outside.
Can you guess what this is?
It's a tea wallet!  I made it as one of several little gifts for my Mom (I drew her name this year), and put in some of her favorite decaf teas.  I got the free tutorial online from Fanny Lu Designs HERE.  It was very fast and easy.  Now I need to make one for me!
On Monday, I decided my apple core vinegar was ready.  It has been smelling very vinegar-y for several weeks, tucked away in a dark cupboard.
I got these three bottles of vinegar from it.  They will be useful in cooking and baking this winter, and they cost practically nothing, being made from apple cores, water, and a little sugar to get the fermentation started.
Good news!  I finished the Christmas quilt this afternoon, after Little Buddy went home.  It feels so good to have this one done before Christmas this year, since the top was left over from last year.
It's a big quilt, 83 in. x 93 in., which is just gigantic for me.  I did the quilting with Mrs. Pfaff, she of the built in walking foot, and made all the markings with soap slivers.
On the left you can see the backing, a wide back I ordered from Connecting Threads last year. I quilted a gentle cable in the outer border, an easy one I've done several times.  The binding is completely by machine, which is now my go-to method.
Everything isn't done yet for our holiday celebrations, but we're making progress.
Better still, we're enjoying the journey.
I'm wishing you the joy of the season (and none of the stress!)
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
Linking up with:
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Angela at Soscrappy













28 comments:

  1. The adults in my family don't exchange gifts. We don't give gifts to our adult children and they don't have to give gifts to us. Only the children receive gifts. That has eliminated a LOT of stress. Love your Christmas quilt, very pretty. Have a blessed, peaceful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gretchen! Good idea about the presents. The less Christmas stress the better!

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you're enjoying the season again. Like you, we've simplified and lowered the Christmas stress level. Your Christmas quilt is beautiful and the embroidered pillow case is so sweet, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! I agree, simple is better. The pillow case came from an antique store. It's fun to get it out of the linen closet once in a while.

      Delete
  3. I give my grown up kids money at Thanksgiving and tell them to buy their own gifts, wrap, bring to our Christmas dinner and I'll open them to see what they bought themselves. Sure has eliminated a lot of stress for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, JoAnne! My husband and I do something similar for each other's gifts, although we don't wrap them. Less stress is best!

      Delete
  4. The quilt looks great! Is that the bed that Little Buddy sleeps in when he visits? I'm glad to hear that the season has become fun for you again. I, too, went through a really Grinchy phase. Reducing the buying/wrapping/giving/receiving/what the heck do I do with THIS?? treadmill really did help :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! Little Buddy still sleeps in the pack and play for his naps, but he will soon graduate to the big (twin) bed. I really do think we can keep the spirit of Christmas without making ourselves crazy.

      Delete
  5. Great quilt! The pillowcase adds a nice touch! What is under the handkerchief?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Violet! There isn't a handkerchief, the pillowcase is sort of a large square with the embroidery in the center. I guess it's actually a pillow sham or something, since the pillow can't go inside it. I think people used to put these over their pillows in the old days to keep the pillowcases clean???

      Delete
  6. I am with you about spending time together being the only thing I want for Christmas! Your quilt is just beautiful! Did you do that curvy design with your walking foot? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Little Penguin. Yes, I'm still walking foot quilting all the way. This particular cable is very easy to quilt because of the gentle curves. I'd like to be able to free motion quilt someday, but I'm a little scared to take the plunge.

      Delete
  7. Your Christmas quilt is beautiful. The border quilting is the perfect finishing touch. Reading about your apple cider vinegar has me thinking about trying that too. It would be a perfect fermentation experiment for my biology students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! There's lots of fun to be had with fermentation. It really makes you appreciate the beneficial bacteria.

      Delete
  8. Congrats! on you finish. It's wonderful... and makes me want to head up to the studio to tackle my bin of Christmas scraps!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! That's how I got into this mess! I tackled my Christmas scraps last year and made four tops, and I STILL have Christmas scraps!

      Delete
  9. So glad you found a way to enjoy this sometimes hectic season. I always ask my kids what things they want to make sure to do in the month of December - it is never anything that costs money but always something together - driving around to see lights, play family board games, bake cookies, make puzzles. Enjoy the family time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb A! You are so right. The older I get, the more I realize life is not about things, it's about people, especially family. Have a lovely holiday season.

      Delete
  10. A fabulous Christmas quilt - it really zings! I understand how pressured you used to feel in the build up to Christmas. I finally finished writing the cards yesterday and I literally felt a weight lift from my shoulders! Like your idea of pulling names and just buying one gift. One of our friends does that with her family - nobody has instigated that brave move in our family though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! We all decided on drawing names back when our adult children were just starting out and had very little money. They were very receptive to the idea!

      Delete
  11. Lovely finish! It really is a festive quilt. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are certainly no Grinch! To little Buddy you are an angel grandma. A beautiful Christmas quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, PaulaB! When it comes to grandchildren, I get back a lot more than I give. There's nothing better than a great big Little Buddy hug.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!