Saturday, October 19, 2019

Little By Little

Little by little, things get done, right?  Well, at least some things.  Many (many!) other things are waiting, but my second quilt for the Socorro Foundation is finished.  (Click HERE for information on the Socorro Foundation quilt/pillowcase drive.)

It's a very simple quilt.  I just took bright 2 in. strips out of the scrap bag, pressed them, cut them into 6.5 in logs, and sewed a 4-rail fence block.  Thirty blocks plus a 2 in. finished border makes a quilt 34 in. x 40 in., which meets the requirements.
Here's the back, another print I bought from my friend's friend.  You can see the grid quilting here, too.  The lines are 1.5 in. apart.  That should help it hold together in the wash.  I used this same fabric to back my first Socorro quilt.
See the Toucan?  That strip was cut from what was left of the animal fabric after making the first quilt.  Scraps just keep on giving.
So I got to use bright novelty prints, which I love, in that little quilt.
I got to use my black reproduction fabrics, which I also love, in these blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Quilt challenge.  The colors, as we're finishing up the year, are black and brown and gray.  I've already done my brown blocks.
Block 1 has a fancy print center that's been in the 4.5 in. squares box forever.
Block 2 has a humble gingham for its center.  Really more my style than fancy.
So now all my blocks for this quilt are done AND quilted!  I still have to cut sashing plus batting and backing for the sashing, before I can start putting it together.  And then I'll have to decide what to do about the border.
Where did all this fabric come from?  This is what got added to the stash this week.
Wednesday was guild meeting, and this month was our annual silent auction.  Each person can bring up to 3 bundles/boxes/piles of stuff, and we all have a chance to bid on them.  Highest bid at the end wins!  I won these gorgeous plaids, orange, green, and blue, each over a yard.  Woot!
I also won this collection of miscellaneous stuff.  I'm keeping the needles, pins, small scissors, and of course the feedsack scraps.  The interfacing and embroidery transfers will find a new home.
Even better than the stuff I won was getting rid of the stuff I brought!  I might have put some chocolate in the boxes I brought to spark some interest (this is always a good ploy).  The guild made over $400.
A friend found this tractor fabric at a sale, and thought of my Little Buddy, who is obsessed with tractors.  Now I'm thinking about making him a farm quilt.
Like I don't have anything else to make!  Well, we can't control when inspiration strikes, can we?

Have a wonderfully inspiring week ahead!
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
Linking up with:
Angela at Soscrappy
Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday
Sarah at Can I Get a Whoop Whoop
Cynthia at Oh Scrap












13 comments:

  1. Congrats! on your quilt finish. Nice job on those DARK Stars, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! It's great to finish something, even if it's small.

      Delete
  2. Another fun finish for Socorro! And your black stars are very sophisticated. Looks like you had a great evening at your guild's silent auction, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! I am so lucky! My guild is full of terrific caring people, who like to have fun.

      Delete
  3. Your quilt for the Socorro Foundation is lovely, and I appreciate knowing the size they want. I'd like to donate one there, too. Love your stars, and seeing all your new stash acquisitions, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! It is so great to "visit" all the wonderful quilt blogs and see what everybody is up to. Yours is right at the top of my list.

      Delete
  4. Plaid!! Tractors!!! you had me right there - ha ha -
    Your quilts for the Socorro Foundation are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! And thanks for the Finished or Not Finished linky party every week!

      Delete
  5. Your little quilt is cute and bright - perfect for giving! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    (You could also make a quick pillow case with the tractor fabric.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia, and thanks again for Oh Scrap. I love your scrap color blocks.
      I made my Little Buddy a tractor pillowcase for Christmas last year, and he sleeps on it every night. Maybe I should make a replacement for when it wears out.

      Delete
  6. The baby quilt is beautiful. It's bright and happy.0

    ReplyDelete
  7. Syliva thank you so much for all the work you have donated to The Socorro Foundation! We appreciate you using your talents for the good of others. This was my first time reading the blog post and I wanted you to know how much we appreciate you! Sincerely, Anamichelle with The Socorro Foundation.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!