Saturday, January 23, 2021

Fresh Off the Treadle

Welcome to Treadlestitches!

I just cannot stop making pink projects!  And to think for years I thought I hated pink.  The Rainbow Scrap Challenge has helped me see that every color in the rainbow is a good color.  Above are my log cabin blocks, made from 2 in. wide scraps.  I made the last one early this morning.

Also this morning, we attended Baby Buddy's baptism (that's the young pastor holding him).  The poor little baby cried even before his head got wet, but he calmed down when it was over.  His cousins even had him laughing.  It was just the family at the church, wearing masks to keep each other safe. 

I think (!) this is my last bright pink project, just half square triangles in pink and white.  I was inspired by this photo of the first American (a nurse!) receiving the Covid-19 vaccine in New York.

Can you see the logo on the wall above for Northwell Health?  It just really caught my eye, especially as part of such an historic occasion.  I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do with the design, but I definitely need half square triangles.

So, if you're following along at home, that's NINE bright pink projects.  Thank goodness I have a notebook to keep track of them.  (I always buy notebooks at the Back to School sales.)  Maybe I won't have as many math errors this year, if I keep an accurate count of how many blocks I've made.  I also won't have to look for the patterns and measurements every month when a new color is announced.

Those log cabin blocks tried to get in every picture today!  Good thing I didn't take them to the church!  In this picture, I'm enjoying a hot cup of tea in an enormous new pink mug.  There are six different colors of mugs in the set.

This is the box the set of mugs came in.  Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Scrap storage!  This is a new home for many of my reproduction fabric scraps--5 in. squares in dark and light, 3.5 in. squares, and 2.5 in. x 4.5 in. bricks.  I had to take the divider out to get everything to fit, but it works really well.  Nice and tidy, and ready to go.

This is not tidy at all!  These little squares and rectangles are spread out on my treadle so I can pick the "perfect" ones to make these blocks:

The blocks are small, only 4.5 in. finished, so if my math is right (ha!) I will need at least 64 of them if I want to make a 36 in. square, or 80 of them for a quilt 36 in. x 45 in.   That should keep the treadle pedal pumping.

This picture is a happy surprise I found on my camera.  My Little Buddy borrowed the camera last week, and took lots of photos of toy dinosaurs, plus this selfie of himself with Bella the dog on the couch in the background.  He's an amazing kid.

I hope you have an amazing week, doing things you love to do.  Be well, and stay safe!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap

 

 








21 comments:

  1. I love that you repurposed that mug box. I'm forever doing that too. I have quite the fetish for plastic containers but I've been trying to not buy any ... i was doing well until one literally fell apart in my hands -- I broke down and bought a replacement. I see a lot of scraps vanishing into a quilt in your future. It's going to be a nice bright quilt when done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Bonnie! Boxes or plastic containers or baskets of scraps make my heart go pitter patter! That probably seems weird to people who don't quilt.

      Delete
  2. Love you pink log cabins, one of my favourite blocks, and so pretty in pink, also love the cute picture of your little buddy and the dog, precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have lots of fun sets of blocks piling up at your house, Sylvia! I love the inspiration for those HST squares - perfect. Sounds like Baby Buddy survived his "ordeal" - so nice that your family could figure out a way to make the baptism happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diann! Piling up is right. I think I might have gone a little overboard! Everything we do now in the time of Covid is a little weird. I think Baby Buddy was confused by all the masks.

      Delete
  4. Sylvia you are right, all color has its beauty. Your blocks are pretty.
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started a number of RSC quilts this year too. I think starting the year out with such a fun color inspired me greatly. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cynthia! You always seem inspired, I love what you do with scraps.

      Delete
  6. SEW many PINK projects, Sylvia!! I have to say that I think your idea for a quilt from that historic event is a good one. A rainbow of HSTs, how could you go wrong?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joyful! A rainbow of HSTs sounds like so much fun!

      Delete
  7. Nine pink projects? Wow! I am not a pink fan; but, I don't dislike it and I had so little of it in my stash that I didn't think I could come up with more than a few blocks. . .was I ever incorrect! Great ideas for storage, new projects and ways to use those precious scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the pink, getting lots done, I see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been searching through your blog looking for more pictures and explanations of your QAYG method. On Jan 24, 2013 (I think that's the date), you posted about doing QAYG using the Georgia Bonesteel method and then started making quilts in sections instead. I didn't really grasp all of it but wondered if you managed to eliminate hand stitching?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Marti! I only know one way to avoid hand stitching in QAYG quilts, and that's to make a center, quilt it, and then add borders and backing (unquilted)and quilt them. I used this method to quilt my grandson's dinosaur quilt. See https://treadlestitches.blogspot.com/2019/08/roar.html
      I blogged about it on Aug. 21, 2019.

      Delete
  10. What a fun post with so many fun projects and colors

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to laugh at the premise of this post because I can sooo relate: Bonnie Hunter cured me of an aversion to pink! I hated her "Double Delight" quilt because of the pink when it originally came out in 2005 then came to love CW repros and the era's "Double Pinks", made up DD in 2019 and now have her "Roll Cotton Boll" quilt in progress started with the pink leftovers from DD! I also did Edyta Sitar's mystery quilt in 2020 with a bunch of fabrics I had collected that also included pinks and have another ES project "fabric funded" using Red, White, Blue and what else --- Pink! Can't seem to quit using the color now! I too love repurposing boxes and food containers as project storage.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!