Saturday, February 27, 2021

Chaos Theory

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

I'm not really sure, but I think Chaos Theory is something in physics.  I vaguely remember Jeff Goldblum going on about it in Jurassic Park.  For me, physics is like snakes, something necessary but dangerous, to be avoided whenever possible.  When it comes to just plain chaos, however, I'm a bit of an expert.  My little grandsons bring the chaos every day.

A couple of weeks ago Little Buddy picked out a gigantic stack of fabrics.  He wants me to make him a new quilt for his naps.  It took a long time just to cut up pieces of all these, and to figure out how on earth to put them together.

I finally decided on this pattern, Chock Full O' Charms.  I made the quilt above a while back in a baby size.  This one will be twin sized.  I ordered the pattern from Quiltwoman.com for $10. (Click HERE to view/order it on Quiltwoman.com.  Click HERE to see the sizes, fabric requirements, etc.)  

I cut a 5 inch strip from each of Little Buddy's chosen fabrics, and cut two squares from the strip. We also added in other charm squares.  Now I'm sewing them into 4 patches as per the instructions.  This is just too random for me!  But I know he's going to love it.

More chaos!  This is my 2.5 in. strip drawer.  Once upon a time, it was nice and neat.  Now it's a disaster.

From chaos to order!  I'm turning the 2.5 in. strips into these blocks.  I got the idea from Bonnie Hunter (of course!  She's the home of good scrap quilt ideas.)  She calls the block Poinsettia Star, and it's part of her Carolina Christmas quilt, in her book Scraps and Shirttails II.  I changed the piecing a little.

Most of the pieces for this block are coming from the 2.5 in. strip drawer and my already cut supply of 2.5 in. squares.  I can also use a 5 in. square to cut the 4 matching dark squares, so that's using them up, too.  The diamond shapes (actually made of 2 HSTs) are in the color of the month (yellow) for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  The pink ones are made in last month's color. There will probably be more of each as I clean out the drawer.

Quilters have always made order out of chaos, but sometimes we have to make the chaos first!

In other news, the Civil War quilts Block of the Month for February is done.  (Click HERE for the first post if you're interested.)

It's a Missouri Star.  I kept the background and the star points the same as the first block, and used a yellow print for the center as a nod to the RSC.

Not sure how I'm going to set them.  Ms. Brackman has several layouts suggested.

And in old news, the Math Genius baby quilt is finished.

Just simple quilting, and a bright aqua binding.

Wait a second--isn't this kind of chaotic?  Am I starting to like chaos?  Yikes!

The back is calmer.  Just a nice yellow strip to make the minions fabric wide enough.

Isn't this fabric a hoot?  It's hard to see, but the word "unique" repeats across the fabric, underneath the minions.  I hope the child who gets this quilt knows that he/she is unique and uniquely wonderful.

And so are you!  Have a wonderful week!

P.S.  Our mailbox is finally visible!  The dirty old snow is slowly melting, and it's going to be a beautiful day.

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap















 

 




12 comments:

  1. Congrats on you latest quilt finish, Sylvia! It looks like you tamed a good number of YELLOW scraps this month, too. Looking forward to seeing Little Buddy's new nap quilt come together! Thanks for the pattern link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I'll be sorry to see yellow go, it's such a nice bright color for this time of year.

      Delete
  2. How nice that your little grandson has picked his own fabrics for his new quilt, I'm sure you will make something nice and colourful for him to sleep under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jenny! It will definitely be colorful! He's really looking forward to it.

      Delete
  3. I made Carolina Christmas - what a great idea to just make the block

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, maggie! Carolina Christmas is a beautiful quilt, congratulations on making it. My quilt will be much simpler.

      Delete
  4. I think Little Buddy's going to have so much fun with the quilt you're making him! It will be a great I Spy quilt for him - I really like the design, too. Those poinsettia blocks are neat! They'll make a great quilt in all the rainbow colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! He's already asking when it's going to be done, so I better get a move on. The poinsettia blocks are helping me do a better job piecing.

      Delete
  5. Little buddy is an enabler.. haha - he is going to get you to keep buying fabrics he likes!! What a sweet quilt for his nap times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! Yes, that's my boy, keeping me in minions and tractor and dinosaur fabric! We do have a lot of fun.

      Delete
  6. From chaos to calmness, calmness being the finished quilts. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, QuiltGranma! We keep working toward calmness in spite of the chaos.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!