Saturday, January 21, 2023

A Scraptastic Week

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

First finish of 2023, my Rainbow Streak of Lightning!  The blocks were made last year as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  Many thanks to Hubby for holding it up for the photo.  I apologize for the photos, it's gray and dismal outside so we'll make do with inside shots.

Snicklefritz the kitten is posing on the quilt.  He was NO HELP when I was quilting the borders and sewing on the binding yesterday.

The back is this fun dotty print, and I made a rainbow binding with strips from the parts department (drawers in the closet).

It's a twin sized quilt, bigger than my usual.  I'm hoping to give it to a group that works with kids in foster care.

In my morning sewing time (before my Little Guy gets dropped off for babysitting) this little top was sewn.  It was quick to do because I had already it cut out as a kit, and sorted the squares.

In my head I'm calling it Dinosaurs Around the World.  I keep thinking I've seen the last of this dino fabric, but more strips keep popping up.

This project was also brought to you by the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month, dark/bright blue.  Another one for the quilting pile.

Speaking of challenges, my quilt group had a scrap bag challenge that was due this week.  Here's what we started with:

We had a sheet with the rules, deadline, etc., and a bag of random scraps, mostly smaller pieces.

Here's my pile spread out.  I liked a lot of these fabrics individually, but to my mind they just didn't go together.  I have a tough time with random.  I love sorting scraps into happy groups.  I knew a string quilt would be a good option, but it took me a long time to figure out what to do.

This was plan A.  I traced a template out of a book for the blue pieces, and sewed the scraps onto triangles cut from phone book pages.

Can you see the problem above?  When I sewed the triangles together, all the points on the blue pieces were blunted.  Either the template was printed wrong in the book, or I messed it up tracing and cutting (probably me).  Not the end of the world, of course, but not what I wanted.  Back to the drawing board.

So here's Plan B.  I had used up a lot of the strips already in Plan A, so I used my own fabrics to fill in the colors.  I had always wanted to make a rainbow string quilt, so that will be off my bucket list when I get it quilted.  It will be a donation, maybe a wheel chair throw or something.  I still have pieces left over (of course!).

More scraps!  Our local quilt shop had a big sale, and of course I participated.  They also keep a huge basket full of scraps.  Customers can fill a bag with their choice of scraps for less than the cost of a yard of fabric.  I chose colors I always run out of, like orange and purple, plus some fun prints.

We have lots of fun around here!  My youngest grandsons, whom I call Buddy and Little Guy, are "working" independently here.  Buddy was drawing a picture, and Little Guy was covering a toy dinosaur with play dough (not sure why).  Did you notice Buddy's hair?  He's in wrestling this year, and his team has haircuts like this for tournaments.  I guess they look fierce?  (He just looks cute to me.)

My Little Guy and I gave the dinosaur a bath after the play dough dried.  He did a good job scrubbing.  We might have to make more play dough.

I hope you're feeling well and having fun this week.

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap















18 comments:

  1. Your Streak of Lightning quilt turned out beautifully. Love the strings too though. Anything in rainbow colors makes me smile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Streak of Lightning is beautiful, Sylvia! I like the green border, too, and the fun backing. It's too bad your string stars didn't work out because that block does make a neat design. Any string quilt can be fun, though. Cute hair for Little Buddy! Is he having fun with the wrestling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Yes, he's loving wrestling this year, now that he's winning matches. And his daddy is the coach.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful split nine patch, Rainbow Streak of Lightning is. So happy and full of bright colors. Love this one,Sylvia, and I'm all for a rainbow string quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada, Ivani! We are all so lucky to have the rainbow scrap challenge for inspiration.

      Delete
  4. Rainbow Streak of Lightening is beautiful (and your helper, Snicklefritz is adorable). Totally love Dinosaurs Around the World. Your grandsons are so sweet.

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the great scrappiness you have in this post. Makes me want to jump back in my scrap bin-maybe I can one day this week;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scrappiness is happiness! Hope you got to play this week.

      Delete
  6. I love your Rainbow Streak of Lightning. You always have just lovely and cheerful fabric even for the neutral pieces. Snicklefritz is just adorable. Looks like he is still full of kitten energy (pink bunny)! Love the rainbow strings quilt. You did a great job! Bravo! The grandsons are just so cute. Love Buddy's face in that picture. So CUTE! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal! I love collecting all this fun fabric. And we're on cuteness overload with the grand kids and Snicklefritz!

      Delete
  7. Lots of cherry rainbow colored quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rainbow quilt and top? Way to go, Sylvia!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! It's so much fun to make scraps into rainbows.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!