Saturday, April 1, 2023

Two Little Tops

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!


 

It's been a busy week here at Treadlestitches.  It's spring break for the grand kids I babysit, so we had lots of fun but the quilting just didn't get done.  I did find time to piece two little tops for Hands2Help, and they'll be quilted soon.  I hope.  The first one is the I Spy quilt above.

I'm trying to use more of my 5 in. strips and squares this year.  Many of them are novelty prints (which I love!) and I Spy is perfect for them.  I chose 48 squares, 6 each of 8 colors, and set them with a colorful dot fabric left over from another quilt.  It was tough finding even six novelty fabrics in orange (do I need to go shopping?) so it was on my mind when I chose the orange solid cornerstones.

The border is this banana print, from 1992!  I found it at a flea market last summer.

My little guys let me interrupt their playing for a photo.

I hope this will be a fun quilt for a child.  It was a blast to make!


So was this one, that I'm calling Hourglass Four Patch.  I tried something new with it.  The hourglass units are made from charm squares.  I wrote up a tutorial for it, click HERE to see it.

For this quilt, I chose mostly saturated colors and just a few novelty prints. 
 

The border is this fabric that I call "Big Kitties".  I was so happy I had enough left of it, after using it in other quilts.  How can you go wrong with purple, orange, red, and green cats?

The grand kids posed with this one, too, but they were getting tired of being models and ready to go back to playing.

I'm so lucky to have such good helpers.  I did get my Buddy to pose one more time.  The thing he's hugging is a giant roll of poly batting.  Wonder how long it will take me to use this up?  Especially since it's one of TWO giant rolls!

I'm experimenting with different ways to use the batting for charity quilts.  It's lightweight, soft, and warm.  

Sorry about all the dark photos, it's been raining here lately and today we've got a little snow, which must be annoying for all the robins that are back.

Have a great week and thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy   The Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for April is purple!!!  Hurray!!!

Cynthia at Oh Scrap









19 comments:

  1. Such fun quilt designs, Sylvia, and your bright prints make very happy quilts, too! That's a great to make an hourglass - thanks for the tutorial. Hope you've had a fun Spring Break week with the buddies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Spring break was hectic but great. We went to a science museum and to the library.

      Delete
  2. Super cute quilt tops (and kids!!) Two giant rolls? Have fun using up that batting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! It might take a long time, but it will be fun!

      Delete
  3. You have two great fun quilts. So love the cheerfulness of your quilts. And those cats; so cute! And the grandkids, just adorable! With so much batting, I guess it's okay to say that you won't stop sewing anytime soon? Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always made the happiest quilts with your novelty fabric, Sylvia. The hour glass looks like short crayons to me. Surely both quilts will give confort and joy to the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivani! Oh, I didn't think of crayons, that would work!

      Delete
  5. What great tops! I'm impressed with the hour glass four patch design! Batting is an expensive part of the process. I piece even the smallest pieces together to cobble a big enough piece to use in the next project. Those rolls ought to keep you in business for a good long time!!!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry! I think it will take at least a year to use up the batting, maybe more!

      Delete
  6. Two more great tops, both so colourful and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilts are adorable! May I ask where you got your big rolls of batting from? And what weight is it? I am getting low on my batting for donation quilts and might have to stock up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki! My friend and I got the batting at Marshall Dry Goods online. We got the 48 inch poly.

      Delete
    2. Sylvia is that 2oz. 4 oz. 5 oz. or 6 oz.? And are you liking it?

      Delete
  8. I love those quilts and am putting your hourglass quilt on my want to make list. I'd like to know where you got so much batting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marti! Check out Marshall dry goods online, they have several kinds of batting.

      Delete
  9. Cute tops!! and that banana fabric !! its perfect... especially with photos of those two little monkeys!! they are such cute kids!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! You're so right about those cheeky monkeys!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!