Saturday, October 14, 2023

Happy Quilt and Broken Dishes

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

It's my first Rainbow Scrap Challenge finish for the year, a Happy Blocks baby-sized quilt.  My very happy grandson Buddy is modeling it for you.

We've had 3 straight days of rain, so no outside pictures I'm afraid.  I hope the photos are not too dark.

My RSC Happy Blocks were made to use up light novelty print charm squares, some commercial and some home cut.  This is the first of 3 small quilts with these blocks.  They will all be donated.

This one is backed with the same heart fabric I used on the back of the Jelly Twist quilt last week.

I'm making my blocks slightly different than the standard measurements, because I wanted to use the charm squares as is.  The centers are 5 in. cut, and the frame rectangles are 2 in. wide.  Two of the rectangles are cut 2 in. x 5 in. and two are cut 2 in. x 8 in.  The blocks finish at 7.5 in.

When my babies and grandbabies were tiny, I used to lay them down on the floor on a quilt.  This one would be good for that, it's soft and thicker and kind of bouncy due to the poly batting.  Plus there's lots of bright colors to look at.

I'm still having a bit of trouble quilting with the thicker poly batting, but I'm figuring it out.  It might go better if I did free motion quilting, but then I would have to learn how to do that!

In other news, there are a "few" UFOs in my closet, and I want to get at least some of them finished before the end of the year.  This little Broken Dishes wall hanging was made sometime last year, from repro squares from the 2.5 in. drawer plus some half square triangles left from another project.  I finally quilted and bound it this week.  Not a big deal, but one more thing moved off the to-do list.

Here's the back, a scrap of toile printed with scenes from the Civil War. 

It's weird, every time I finish something, I can't wait to finish something else!

And now for more grand kid pictures!  These two adorable kids (whom I call Mr. H and Miss E) were here for a family party for Mr. H's 15th birthday.  H is famous in the family for not wanting his photo taken, but he kindly presented us with his profile.  Miss E is holding the dog's leash, and is just as happy and sweet as she looks.
 

Little Guy and I went to the library last week, and he couldn't wait to get home to "read" his book.

The other day, he told me he wanted to write a letter for his Mama.  I told him that was a great idea, and got markers and paper out.  This is what he wrote:

Grandpa and I had quite a chuckle about it.

He's learning his letters in preschool.  This one is his favorite, not sure why.

It's still raining, so it's a good day for quilting.  Every day is a good day for quilting, isn't it?  You betcha!  Have a lovely week.

Cheers,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Cynthia at Oh Scrap

 

 

 












15 comments:

  1. Awesome grandkid pix!!! I have one who does not like being photographed either. Love that bright and happy rainbow quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! I try to respect H's camera shyness, but he volunteered this time since we always take a photo on this bench when walking in the park.

      Delete
  2. Your Happy Blocks quilt is definitely a happy one, Sylvia! Love that backing, too. The broken dishes wall-hanging is lovely! It always feels good to finish up something that's been hanging around for awhile. Happy birthday to Mr. H! Glad you got to celebrate with him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I am so lucky to live near my grandchildren! Mr. H and Miss E live about an hour from here, so I don't see them as often as the others. Which makes it special when they are here.

      Delete
  3. Happy Quilts always come out well, don’t they? Lovely to see your grandson is already a Book Worm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! My little guy wouldn't let that book out of his sight all day. The kids love going to the library and getting a great big stack of "free" books.

      Delete
  4. Haha--love the stories of your grandchildren!!! Great couple of quilt finishes, too, Sylvia! I get it--finish a quilt, get another quilt finished!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! I'm amazed at all the quilts you finish!

      Delete
  5. The letter writing. . .I laughed out loud! What a sweet gesture! Love your finishes and smart to use the charms squares as they are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The letter writing comment above is from. . . TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry! I don't think my little guy even knows the other meaning for "writing a letter"! It was very cute.

      Delete
  7. The Happy Quilt is a definite winner! The backing is great! Isn’t it weird to think our grandchildren ,or great grandchildren in my case, will probably never write or receive a letter! With postage going up yet again, it seems that letter writing is doomed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! It is sad that letter writing is disappearing, although I love visiting over the phone. Maybe I'll write a few letters to the kids just for fun!

      Delete
  8. That is a perfect happy block quilt!!! love the brights!!
    and yay for family , and sneaking a profile pic haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! I don't want to embarrass H, but we need a photo once in a while! He's a great kid, very kind to his younger cousins.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!