Saturday, March 23, 2024

16 Patches, Purple, and Snow

Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Spring snow fell yesterday, leaving 5 inches on the ground here.  It makes a pretty backdrop, but I'll be glad when it melts away.  This week's finish is a 16 patch, made from my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks from 2023.

Here it is, spread out on the snow.  Don't worry, I'll wash it today before it is ready to donate.

It's fun to revisit this purple block.  I wish I had more of that monster fabric in the top row!  I bought a fat quarter at a quilt show.  I definitely should have bought more.  Lesson learned!

The back is this multi-dot print.  I've used it a lot, just because it's so cheerful and goes with any color.

Snicky posed on the quilt when I first laid it down, then ran through the house with his tail in the air, for some reason known only to himself.

He ended up sleeping in this cozy nest of quilts in my sewing room closet.  It was a great place to be during the snow storm.

While Snicky was sleeping, I was sewing blocks for this years RSC.  I'm making 6 in. rail fence blocks, each with a light, medium, and dark strip.  

When the rail fence blocks were done, I started on the string blocks.  I just love making these!  Using up the strings makes me feel frugal, although I must admit I don't have enough "real" strings of every color, so I cut them from the big scraps.  This part of my RSC sewing makes a huge mess in the sewing room, but I don't even care.  

The trimmings even make the trash look pretty!  Confetti trash!

On Thursday my Little Guy and I went to the library.  He loves to play with the train set, even though he has a similar set at home.

He's really enjoying the Bad Kitty books by Nick Bruel.  We read this one on Thursday, Bad Kitty Does NOT like SNOW.  I think I agree with Bad Kitty.

How are your projects coming along?  I'm looking forward to seeing all the great quilts and blocks at the linky parties (links below).  Have a wonderful week!

Cheers,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy, Home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge












 

13 comments:

  1. Your bright blue (cobalt?) blue sashing really sets those RSC 16 patch blocks off beautifully. Great quilt finish with a good choice of backing. A huge stash of that fabric would be so useful for RSC projects. I’m a great fan of String Blocks - I could make them all day long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! String block making all day long? Sign me up!

      Delete
  2. That's one of my favorite things about quilting a quilt from last year's blocks - it's so fun to look at all those blocks again! Your 16 patch quilt is a delightful finish, Sylvia. I think I agree with Bad Kitty, too - no more snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Poor bad kitty falls in the snow and goes back inside to stay. Sounds good to me!

      Delete
  3. Great finish and a book I need to read, will it work on our naughty kitty?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Polly is silly like your Snicky. She also loves to immediately sit on my freshly laid out quilt and then run with jubilation through the house! What a sweet picture of your grandson playing with the train at the library. Libraries are such wonderful places of learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie! As a retired librarian I love to hear people say that! We are so lucky to have a wonderful public library in town.

      Delete
  5. That sashing sure makes those blocks sing! What a terrific finish and the photographic setting was perfect! I'm glad you were able to make such progress on your purple blocks in spite of the snow storm!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry! The snowstorm was actually a help. My daughter worked from home and kept my little grandson with her, so I had a free day!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful quilt from your 16 patch blocks. I really like the bright blue borders and sashing. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! I always think blue goes with everything

      Delete
  7. The snow is a perfect backdrop for your Happy 16 patch quilt!!! it makes the colors so vibrant!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! I love blue, plus I am using up the solid fabrics.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!