Saturday, June 29, 2024

Pink Finish, Kits and Stash

Welcome to Treadlestitches!  How are your projects coming along?

Well, I'm a little late for pink month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, but I did manage to finish this Disappearing Nine Patch before the start of July, though, so I guess that's something.

Not really a pink girl myself, but I've been lucky enough to acquire scraps from friends and second hand sales.  Lots of these are really cute!

Here's the back, originally from the local chain shop.  It's a plain cotton, not a flannel, but the same print also came in flannel and I've had some of that.  The binding matches the cornerstones, and came from an antique mall in Indiana.

The tutorial I used for this quilt came from Jo's Country Junction, by Jo Kramer.  She calls it the Self Sashing Disappearing Nine Patch.  (Click HERE.)

I posted about how I was making this back in May, but here's a quick run through.

First, you make a 9 patch block.  The cornerstone fabric square goes in the center, the sashing fabric squares go in the middle of each side, and the other squares go in the corners.

Next, you slice the block in half vertically and horizontally.

Obviously, you don't want a sashing and cornerstone on the end of the row, or the bottom of the last row.  Jo Kramer solved that by ripping.  I hate ripping.  

Instead, I made the pieces on the right of the photo below for the last piece in each row except the bottom row.

On the bottom row, I sewed another row of squares with sashing between.

 
 

This one is a little bigger than normal for me, about 44 in. x 55 in.  It will be donated locally.

Do you ever have this problem?  I get to the stage of setting the rows of a quilt together, and then have to look around for something to sew for leaders and enders.  (I blame the amazing Bonnie Hunter lol.)  What if I had a few kits cut ahead, ready to go?  

Here's the first one, a Windmill pattern in an 8 in. block.

The kit includes the directions (from the amazing Nancy Queen of Scraps at our quilt guild), a finished block, and all the cut pieces for 19 more blocks.  I also included my notes with my plans for the set, borders, etc., so I can refresh my memory if I forget.

I cut 2 more quilts, a Four Patch and a Tumblers.  So I should be set for awhile!

As for quilting plans for the weekend, I need to cut these repro fabrics up for my hexies project before RSC blue month is completely over.  Most comes from my stash, but the lights and the first blue were purchased at a quilters rummage sale yesterday.

I did a very scary thing.  Last weekend, I inventoried the stash.  (Have you ever done this?)   I should say, I inventoried just the stash in the sewing room, which I use to make mostly children's quilts.  Yikes!  Mind boggling.  Just putting away the new acquisitions from this month took some work.  This shelf unit houses the 1 yard or so pieces on the bottom shelf, half yards on the next shelf up, and fat quarters on the shelf above that.  I had to add 3 more smaller boxes on top of the others to fit everything in.

I also had to add another box for the larger-than-one-yard pieces on the shelf in the closet.  I was so lucky to find so many cute blue fabrics.

I'm well set up to not buy much of anything new for the next year, but we'll see.  That's the plan anyway.

So, off to press and cut and sew and quilt!

Have a wonderful week!

Thanks for reading, and check out the quilt blogs at the linky parties below.

Cheers,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy











 

6 comments:

  1. Those are some adorable pink fabrics. They worked out beautifully in your disappearing nine patch. I would be terrified to inventory my stash, but it is nice to have enough on hand to not have to shop for every quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your disappearing 9 patch is so cute, all in pink, Sylvia! That looks like a good technique to remember. Good for you to sort, inventory, and organize what you have in your stash! I could stand to spend some time doing that also. You make so many wonderful quilts to give away - I know you'll use what you have for those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortunately there are no quilt police verifying that everyone is abiding by this or that RSC rule. It is just one of the reasons this challenge appeals to me. I make the rules. I can also bend the rules. You, ended up with a finished pink quilt for a "blue" month. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Disappearing 9-patch is a great block. I love the slightly more organized feel of this one. Great technique and you solved the “ripping” problem! I really like your idea to get ahead of the Leaders and Enders dilemma. I have a hard time stitching anything without them. And to have your notes about what, why and where is a super idea. I keep having those dang “Senior moments” when I can’t remember anything! 🙄

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your pink finish, some little girl will just love to curl up in it. Good idea to put notes in with your new leader ender projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely collection of novelties and design patterns. The Jo Kramer one is gorgeous. What a great stash.,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!