Welcome to Treadlestitches! Thanks for stopping by!
Happy Saturday, everyone! For the first time in weeks, I have an actual finish, quilted and bound and everything. It's amazing what you can do when the kids go back to school.
When I was working on last week's cat quilt top I went through my stash looking for cat prints to use as borders or backing. It may not surprise you that I found a lot! The sizes ranged from 2-3 yards down to squares and strips.
The squares made me think of this quilt that I saw at the Winter Quilt Show in February. Before I could stop myself I was cutting up squares and strips to make my own version.
The squares are charm squares, 5 in. x 5 in. cut. Of the 63 squares, 23 are different cat prints and 4 are "cat-adjacent", meaning paw prints mostly. Two of the prints feature dogs and cats. The strips between the squares are cut 2 in. x 5 in. There are 63 of the strips also. (Don't you love that cat relaxing on a pile of quilts?)
I included Hello Kitty, even though I know she's supposed to be a little girl dressed up like a cat.
This is an easy quilt to make. The biggest challenge was keeping the one way prints right side up. By the way, the yellow square above is another "cat-adjacent" print, with things cats like such as yarn and fish bowls.
I forgot to include the border and backing when I counted the cat prints! So there are 25 different prints with cats in the quilt. Check out the cat sewing! I need to teach Snicky to sew. Maybe he could do the bindings.
Here's the backing. I found it at a local quilt shop
on the clearance rack for 40% off!!!
I think this pattern would work well for other kinds of novelty fabrics or for I Spy quilts. Right now I'm thinking about making one with animals (zoo animals, farm animals, all kinds!), maybe book characters if I can find enough, vehicles like cars and trucks, etc.
The finished quilt measures 42 in. x 51 in., and will be donated locally.
Wow, it's already the last Saturday in August! Even with having extra time, I had to finish these yellow crumb blocks this morning for my last set of Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks. Can you guess which one is my favorite?
The one with Elmo, of course!
September's color is purple, which is my very favorite! I can't wait to pull out the purple scraps and get going.
School just started, and our Buddy has already been in a cross country tournament. He's on the JV team for his school, and did very well. Little Guy and I cheered him on at the finish line.
I hope someone is cheering you on for the amazing things you do. Have a wonderful week, and happy quilting!
Thanks for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
As usual, I'm linking up with these great linky parties. Come join us!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!