Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Jelly Roll Bricks Quilt


This quilt pattern has been floating around on the internet for a long time.  I'd love to give credit where credit is due, so if you know who started it, could you let me know?  I have not been able to find it in my pattern books.
Because of the way the blocks are set, it looks much more complicated than it is. (I love when a pattern does that.)  If you look closely, you can see that each block consists of a 4-patch in the center and two narrow white strips on each of the long sides.  The blocks are sewn side by side, alternating between the white strips going across and the white strips going down.
Here's the recipe:
1.  Cut 120 rectangles measuring 2.5 in. x 3.5 in.  If you are using Bonnie Hunter's Scrap Users system, you can pull strips from your 2.5 in bin and your 3.5 in. bin.  I used mostly novelty children's prints.
2.  Sew the rectangles into 4 patches.  I did this almost randomly.  Note about strip piecing--this can be done by sewing strips together and cutting, just like regular square 4 patch blocks.  BUT you'll have much less variety.  If I was going to use strips I would at least cut them in half.
3.  Cut 60 white rectangles, 1.5 in. x 6.5 in.  Sew one to each of the long sides of the 4 patches.  You will then have 30 blocks that measure 6.5 in. unfinished, 6 in. finished.
4.  Lay them out, and alternate their orientation--white strips going across, white strips going down, etc.
5.  Sew the blocks into rows.  Sew the rows together into a top.
6.  Add borders.  I used 2.5 in strips (4 of them).  Add borders to sides first, then top and bottom.
7.  As always, layer, baste, quilt, and bind.
I have also seen this done with black instead of white, and it is very dramatic.
These are a few of my basic charity quilt go-to patterns.
What are yours?  I would love to know what other quilters/groups are doing.  Sharing is one of the things we do best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!