Monday, May 6, 2013

Loot!




On Friday, my husband and I went antiquing.  It was a perfect day for it, raining and cool, so we didn't feel guilty about not working in the yard or garden.  Above is the loot I bought.  DH as usual had fun looking but didn't buy anything.  (Somehow, that doesn't work for me!) 
I got the red cake keeper and red handled egg beater for my vintage inspired kitchen (still in progress).  That's a sad iron there in front.  It's just a solid hunk of iron with an interesting wooden handle.  In the old days ladies would have more than one base.  They'd put the irons on the stove (or in the fire), get them out with the handle, iron clothes until they cooled, and then switch for the hot one.  No temperature dials on these, you just had to figure out if you thought it was the right temperature, and then strike while the iron was hot.  I've always wanted one, and this one was cheap.  It'll be a neat book end.

But the best find was fabric!  Here's the stack I bought, after the pieces have been washed.  There is enough of the green print and the pink print for backings on charity quilts.  The Packers fabric will be great for either kids or adults (this is Wisconsin!) but I'm giving the Cowboys fabric that was bundled with it to a friend.
 This is a small section of Moda aliens fabric.  $2.50!  I might make toy bags for the grandkids with this.  Henry would love it!

 These are some scraps from a quilt someone was making with American Jane fabric.  I'm sure I can put it to good use.  It was priced at $1.50.  Seriously.
I'm always on the look out for feed sacks, and these were reasonably priced, though not super cheap.  I'm thinking about piecing another feed sack quilt soon.

After cleaning out all my bins of antique/vintage quilt tops and blocks, I was able to pass on most of them I saw in the antique store, but these caught my eye and came home with me.  I've never seen this exact pattern before, and I haven't been able to find it in any of my pattern books yet.  Which just goes to show how inventive quilters were and are.  The center circle is pieced into the background, and the skinny rectangles are pieced in also.  There were four of these blocks, in great fabrics, for just $3.00.  I'm planning a "pattern quilt" made from orphan blocks of different sizes and patterns, and these are the right time period.

It was a fun, productive day.  I saw several sewing machines, including a Franklin in a parlor cabinet, which I petted and left.  I love antique stores and flea markets.  They're like museums, but you can touch the items, and even take them home if the price is right.
Good hunting, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!