Thursday, August 8, 2013

Back to Work!

Slowly but surely, I am getting back to normal.  Never has normal seemed so wonderful.
This is the charity quilt I was working on just before I fell.  All it needed was to have the binding sewn down by machine.  So I pinned it, and made myself sew it day before yesterday.  It wasn't as much fun as it used to be, but I did it, and that's what counts, right?  I washed it this morning, and hung it on the clothesline to dry.

The pattern is a basic framed square, made from flannels.  Some of the cute prints were given to one of our members by a lady who is giving up quilting for other crafts, and who knew we would make good use of them for kids in need.  Some of the flannel print scraps are from our members' stashes, and several are from my enormous flannel hoard.
To make this quilt, you need 4.5 in. squares for the centers and 2.5 in strips for the sides.  The blocks are 8 in. square finished.  I made 20 blocks.
For each block, cut:
1 square, 4.5 in. x 4.5 in.
2 rectangles, 2.5 in. x 4.5 in.
2 rectangles, 2.5 in. x 8.5 in.
The borders are cut 1.5 in. wide (yellow inner border) and 3.5 in. wide (monkey print).
The final measurements for the quilt are approximately 40 in. wide and 48 in. long.
I machine quilted in the ditch, plus on all 4 sides of the 4 in. squares.  I used Warm and Natural batting.
It might seem silly to make flannel quilts in August, but in Wisconsin we always know winter is coming.
Ohio Rose update--I now have 8 blocks finished!  Only 4 more to go!
Here they are laid out on the table.  The 3 blocks I did last summer have a different green fabric than the ones I'm doing now.  I have no idea what happened to the rest of that fabric.  It's going to be obvious in the finished quilt.  On the whole, I don't think I'm going to worry about it.
I'm too busy worrying about how I'm going to set and quilt it!
Enjoy the summer days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!