Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Quilt Pantry

As promised, this week I'm taking you on a tour of my stash.  I'm not holding back here, I will show you the whole mess.  Brace yourself.
Here it is--my basement room, which contains my stash of fabric, yarn, sewing machines, quilt tops and quilt blocks.  Plus notions, knitting needles, and projects.
You might have seen this room before.  I wrote about it when I was working on straightening it up. 
Once I had my main sewing room upstairs, I decided to keep this room as a kind of storage room, or warehouse.  A quilt pantry.  Where I have everything I need to make quilts.
I want it to be pleasant to come down here, almost like going to the quilt store. I'm trying to "shop my stash" first, whenever I need fabric, so I have several baskets around the room displaying fat quarters.   The drawers here hold orphan blocks and cloth labels.
On the lower shelves, I have patterns and notions.  I took these photos on a bright sunny day, with a flash.  It is sadly dark in here.
My stash of vintage cottons is about the same as before, except for a few more pieces I bought last summer.  I think I feel a vintage quilt coming on.  Something with lots of different colors.

The boxes on this side hold solid colors, which work well with the vintage prints.  I also keep my Accuquilt cutter and dies here.  I can cut out quilts down here with the Accuquilt, if I bring the iron down for pressing (I have a pressing mat on the table).
Here are all my feedsacks.  The printed ones are in the trunk and the laundry basket, while the plain ones are in the bins underneath them.  It's really inspiring to look at fabric.  The file cabinet holds patterns.

Here's the cutting table and my White treadle, all set up for whenever it's needed.
The fabrics under the table are ones I'm planning to use for charity quilts for kids.  Kind of messy, I've been rummaging through them recently.
This is the last of my fabric stash.  The clear bins hold reproduction fabrics, and the smaller colored bins have more fabric for charity quilts.
This is the worst part!  It's all organized, just messy.  The quilt tops in the foreground need to have borders added, etc.  There are also old clothes to cut up for fabric, and denim to make into rugs.
I can't believe I finally got down to only one shelf unit for my sewing machines!  To me, this looks like progress.


I have a basket of old quilt blocks on top of this old treadle, plus the leftovers from the Celtic Solstice mystery quilt.  They are there to inspire me (or nag me?)

Speaking of Bonnie Hunter mystery quilts, the new one started last Friday.  I have my homework done, and I'll be creating an extra post each week to share my progress.  This event is always so much fun.  If you'd like to join in, it's not too late!  The new one is called Grand Illusion.  Click on the link below to find out all about it.
Grand Illusion Mystery Quilt
I'm planning to make each step of the quilt with a different vintage machine.  Think I've got enough? (grin)

Last but not least, I finished my string quilt top!
One hundred and sixty eight 6 in. blocks, sewn on cloth foundations.
Most of the scraps came from my bins, but I must confess I went down to my "quilt pantry" and picked out some orange fabrics to add in.
I'm not going to add any borders.  My plan is to quilt it simply and bind with a dark color.
Here's what it looks like on the back.  It's already kind of heavy.  It should be nice and warm when it's quilted.
And that's my wish for you this week, to be nice and warm and quilted.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!