Friday, August 25, 2017

How I Spent My Summer Vacation

My husband, 12-year-old grandson, and I took a trip last week to Washington, D. C. to see museums and historical sites.  Above is the rotunda of the National Museum of Natural History.
Like all quilters, I had to pack something to work on while away from my sewing machine, so I selected this UFO that I've been appliqueing off and on (mostly off) for several years.  You can see how I basted this block within an inch of its life.  The inside and the outside of the circle are basted under, and then the whole "plate" is basted to the background.  If I was working on it at home, I would just have pinned it on the background, but it is much more portable this way.  I'm less likely to lose pins or to stab the person next to me on the airplane with a misplaced pin.
Not much sewing happened the first few days.  My husband, while normally a mild-mannered man, is a drill sergeant on vacation.  We walked all over Washington, checking off boxes on his mental list.  When we finally got back to the hotel each day, I usually threw myself on the bed, barely summoning the energy to read.  (The photo above is the capitol rotunda, beautifully restored.)
The museums have lots of inspiration for quilters. This is the original Singer 1851 patent model sewing machine.  Wow!  The guys could not understand why I was so excited about it.  Sorry about the bad photo, it's in a glass case.
Here's a coverlet with a star pattern.  Sure looks like a quilt.
I think I've seen these on the internet before, as an inspiration for a modern quilt.  These are (I think!) sections of different woods, dyed to show their structure.
The Harriet Powers Bible quilt was not on display this time, but I've seen it before and it is wonderful.  Click HERE to go to a photo/description.
This is the view from our hotel window.  In the foreground are the old historic houses of Georgetown.  To the back on the left side is the famous Watergate complex.
Just had to pose with this guy, Alexander Hamilton.
We're back home now, and I did manage to finish 3 more blocks of the Dresden plate.  I took out the basting thread, pressed them, and hung them on a skirt hanger to wait til I finish the rest.
Above is my favorite "carved in stone" saying of the whole trip.  It is at the new FDR memorial.
Words to live by.

School starts in 3 days!!!
Summer must really be over.
Have a wonderful week!
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
I'm linking up with Myra as usual at Busy Hands Quilts,  and Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict for the first time.











4 comments:

  1. How great that you figured out some hand work to take with you on your trip. It's fun finding quilting inspiration wherever you go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. Now if it just wasn't the same project for every trip! Some day, I really will finish these blocks.

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow, what wonderful pictures! My favorites are the carved inscription and the 1851 Singer. *I* understand why you were excited! I've seen that Bible quilt once, when it was on tour ... gosh more than 40 years ago! It still sticks in my head, though, that's how amazing it is. Your Dresdens are wonderful. I will have to buy more skirt hangers, this time for my quilt closet - I'm running out of wall space for projects! Thanks for showing that tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! The Dresdens are a vintage UFO, started by somebody years ago. If I ever get close to finishing, I'll tell the whole story.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!