Saturday, December 9, 2017

Building Blocks


Welcome to my blog.  Here's my "finish" for this week--30 blocks made with the Disappearing Nine Patch pattern.  I'm calling this quilt Cobblestones.
All the pieces are from my scraps.  The brown floral print in the large brown square above was the color inspiration.  I used browns paired with aqua and green, with dark blue accents and light backgrounds.
The border will be this brown/black plaid fabric in the foreground.
Kind of a pathetic finish, isn't it?  Not even a flimsy!  But this has been sort of a tough week.
Our  17 month old grandson was sick on Wednesday and Thursday with a cold/fever, which meant he wanted to be held just about all the time.  I am happy to do anything I can to make the little sweetheart feel better, including watching Sesame Street what seems like a million times.  Love plus medicine, fluids, and time worked, and he was better on Friday.
Since I usually sew during nap times on weekdays, I definitely got less done.  Not a problem, things will even out.
The blocks above were made per a request from my eldest daughter.  She is putting together a basket for a fundraiser for her kids' school, and asked if I had a quilt to donate.  She knows me well, I'm always working on donation quilts, but there was nothing finished that would fit the theme of Cozy Home and work for adults.  This disappearing ninepatch project was already in the works, so I just cut up some more scraps and got the blocks done.  I'm hoping to finish the top this weekend.  The fundraiser isn't til February, so I'll have time to get the quilting done.
While I was sewing blocks, I finished sewing the white strips on my 1930s flowers.  These were fun to make, and I'll be doing a tutorial on them after Christmas.  No flipping flippy corners!
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!  This is the view from my sewing room window this morning.  Just a dusting of snow, no big deal for Wisconsin.

Inside, it's warm and cozy, and decorated.  My Red Clover quilt hangs on the back of my favorite rocking chair next to the tree.  Red and green is so wonderfully classic.
I had to take this photo before all of this is gone!  I made Cashew Brittle Friday morning, and it's so good I have to share the recipe.  It's very simple, with simple ingredients--1 cup regular sugar, 1 cup (two sticks) butter, 1 Tablespoon corn syrup (I used Lyle's Golden Syrup) and 1 cup cashews.  Click HERE to go to the recipe at Genius Kitchen.  It makes a lot more than I expected.  This container was so full I could barely get the lid on, plus there was even more that wouldn't fit (I took care of that problem!)  My husband suggested a small improvement, which I'm going to try next time I make it.  He thinks separating the cashews into halves would be better, instead of using them whole.  His way will have all the cashew bits surrounded by sweet stuff.  Genius.
Have a wonderful week, whatever you are making.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
Link ups as usual with Busy Hands Quilts and Crazy Mom Quilts.








6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your little grandguy was sick, but glad to hear he's feeling better. Time with Grandma always helps :)

    The colors on your D9P look great! It will make a lovely donation quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! These are unusual colors for me. Maybe I'm finally branching out!

      Delete
  2. Sorry you didn't get your D9P top together. LOVE how the colors are running!! Hoping the little is feeling better now so you can have more sewing time in the coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I hear he's back to his old self, which is terrific. I'm looking forward to seeing him tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for such a great post. We too have just a dusting of snow in Ontario but it will come!
    I have babysitted quite a bit and now get my grandson off the bus twice a week to help out. I hate it when they are under the weather so know how that feels.
    Lovely quilts all and how generous to donate your work too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jocelyn! I'm sure Ontario is lovely this time of year. We visited there once in the summer.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!