Saturday, December 23, 2017

Piece and Joy to All

It's almost Christmas Eve!  Merry Christmas to those who celebrate, and joy to everyone. 
As you can see above, I'm not finished quilting the Christmas scrap quilts I started this year.  No worries, there are only 368 more days til NEXT Christmas, and I'm sure at least this one will be done by then.
Here is my scrappy Christmas stars quilt laid out on the floor, before layering and quilting.  This quilt is another two-parter.  I'm currently quilting the center section.  When I've got that done, I'll add the borders with their backing and batting and quilt them.  Please pardon the dark photo, I just can't take pictures on these dark evenings.
The cobblestones top aka disappearing nine patch is done.  I'm actually going to have to buy a back for it.  With all the fabric I have here you'd think I could find something acceptable, but no.  It will be used in a fundraiser basket at my grandkids' school, so I want it to look really nice.  This will mean a trip to the store after Christmas.  (Hurray!  They might have other stuff I "need"!)
It is definitely easier for me to piece than quilt during my grandson's naps.  The electric Pfaff is noisier than the treadle, and I'm right down the hall from his room.  So I'm usually looking for something to piece in the afternoons.  That's where this box comes in handy.  This is my kit box.  In here are kits I have cut during the year for donation quilts.
I pieced this baby quilt top this week from a kit made from the large Accuquilt tumblers.  I laid it out on my design floor on Wednesday (in spite of the help of Mr. Biddy the cat), and pieced it together on Thursday.  I'll get it quilted next, after the scrappy Christmas stars.
I can't believe all the cute flannel prints there are in the stores.  Most of these have been in my stash for literally years.  It's nice to move them along in a warm quilt for a child.
This is the season for sewing with flannel, at least here in Wisconsin.  There are 4 more flannel baby quilts cut out and ready to sew in the kit box.  I might get a couple more of them done before spring.

In other years, I have enjoyed making Bonnie Hunter's annual mystery quilt during the holidays, but I haven't really found the time this year.  This year's mystery quilt is called On Ringo Lake, and you can find all the parts HERE.  Reading her posts has made me remember that I although I have started several, I have NEVER finished one of these mystery quilts. 
Thinking of this made me dig out my Celtic Solstice quilt pieces from the bottom of the closet, and finally sew these indigo blue borders on.
Bonnie's designs are always amazing, but sometimes they're just a little too complicated for me.  I calmed this one down by leaving out the yellow and green chevrons which I just couldn't make come out right no matter what I did.  (The directions were fine.  My sewing was NOT.)  I added a row of blocks at the top and the bottom to make it longer and simplified the border.

And I love it!  It's also in two sections, ready for my kind of quilting.  I have no idea when that will happen.
This week I'm wishing you the joy of the season, and the joy of making quilts.
Feliz Navidad!
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
Usual link ups at Crazy Mom Quilts and Busy Hands Quilts.











6 comments:

  1. You have some really wonderful projects in the works!! Best of luck with the finishing... eventually. Believe me, I can SEW relate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I'm in awe of all you get done every week!

      Delete
  2. These are delightful! Happy Sewing in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sylvia, I love your attitude! Christmas quilt not finished? Plenty of time for next year! Bonnie Hunter too complicated? Simplify it to a great new design! Pfaff too noisy? Treadle quietly! You're a can do and make do kinda gal and I admire that :)

    I'm also feeling inspired by your bags of precut projects. Why didn't I think of that?? I don't buy kits, so it never really dawned on me that I could cut my own kits and have them ready for the future. Thank you so much for the AHA! moment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I don't buy kits either, but I love having them ready to work on. Wish I had dinner kits done ahead. (Is that even possible?)
      Cheers,
      Sylvia

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!