Saturday, February 24, 2018

Kid Stuff

I'm back from a quilt retreat weekend (that's why no blog last week), and Max the bunny is helping me show what I got done.  It's all fun stuff for kids.
First, doll quilts!  You may have heard of the Spread the Love campaign, to make doll quilts for the kids who are receiving dolls from A Doll Like Me.  (If not, HERE is the post from Bernie at Needle and Foot.)  I made two little quilts from orphan blocks and squares.
After making two of these blocks a few weeks ago, one red and one blue, I just sort of fizzled out, so it was nice to put them to good use.  The center block is 12 in., and the quilts are 24 in. square.
Here's the red one.
And the blue one.  I did a better job of keeping the red one flat.  Max doesn't care, so I hope the kids won't either.
Next up--dinosaurs!  I had a pack of dinosaur charm squares I bought at a quilt show a couple of years ago (I think).  I used more bright colored 5 in. squares plus rectangles cut 5 in. x 9.5 in. to make the quilt.  There are only 3 pieces in each block--two squares and a rectangle.
Here it is, on its side.  I am having an argument with the camera today.  So far, I'm losing.
These fabrics were so much fun to sew.  The pattern is called The Long and the Short of It, and is by Barbara Esposito.  You can find it HERE for free on the Moda Bakeshop.  The pattern calls for 30 blocks, but I only made 20 for a smaller quilt.
Check out this crazy backing fabric!
The quilting is just lines across the quilt.  They are mostly straight and mostly parallel.  Well, mostly.
This quilt will be donated to Quilts for Kids.
When I got to the retreat, I already had this little flannel quilt pieced, layered, and spray basted.  It didn't take long to quilt it simply and bind it.  It will go to Project Linus.
Lastly, I finally finished and bound my second Pixel Hearts quilt.
There are so many fun fabrics in here.
Wait til you see the back.
Monsters!  or Aliens!  or both!  So strange and goofy.  I love it.  It was on the Clearance table.  Can you believe it?
It is so much fun to make kid quilts with these fabrics, and it's fast and easy to finish them.
I hope you're having fun this week, whatever you are doing.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts and Busy Hands Quilts.














8 comments:

  1. Love your dolls and kids quilts, such fun fabrics, great colours, well done!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! I have such a good time playing with these fun prints.

      Delete
  2. Sylvia, these quilts are so adorable. Thank you for making doll quilts for A Doll Like Me!! I love them. Also the larger quilts - so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bernie! And thank YOU for telling us about A Doll Like Me.

      Delete
  3. So much cuteness here, Sylvia! I love your sense of whimsy and color :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I always like all the weird prints, like monsters with 3 eyes.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful batch of donation quilts!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!