Saturday, March 3, 2018

Crossroads

This is hot off the machine!  Hurray, I finished quilting my Crossroads quilt this morning!
It's my first Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt, from back in 2016.
It's a small quilt, only 20 blocks, so not too tough to quilt on my Pfaff.  Most colors only have one block.  I was using up 2.5 in. squares in the blocks and in the pieced border.  Some of the squares came from those tiny charm packs, which I absolutely cannot resist.
The back is a cozy flannel.  Spring is coming, but it's still cold here, especially at night, and the flannel will feel toasty as I'm binding.  I'm thinking about binding with dark blue.
It's so much fun to see some of my favorite fabrics again.
The Crossroads name comes from a Mountain Mist pattern from back in the day.  It always reminds me of the Allman Brothers song Melissa, and I've been humming it today.  "Crossroads, seem to come and go...".  I guess I'm from back in the day, too.

In other news, I finished this top.  The nine patches are made from 2 in. squares and the larger squares come from the 5 in. square bin.  The rectangles in the pieced border are also cut from 2 in. strips.
With scrappy blocks and a scrappy pieced border, this was kind of getting out of hand.  The outer border is meant to calm it down a bit.  Now, I wonder how I'm going to quilt it.  Any suggestions?
Here are some special monkeys, my youngest and oldest grandsons.  There was no school on Thursday or Friday for big brother, so Friday we took the boys to the Milwaukee County Zoo.  They are posing here with a statue of a baby gorilla.  There was a real baby gorilla just around the corner (which was absolutely adorable).
But this was my little grandson's favorite exhibit--the dairy barn!  He loves cows.  He mooed and mooed at them, and didn't ever want to leave.  I am so lucky, to get to see the world through a child's eyes again.
We all had a good time, walking around the zoo in the sunshine.
I'm wishing sunshine and quilty happiness for you this week, too.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
Linking up with Busy Hands Quilts, So Scrappy, and Crazy Mom Quilts.













16 comments:

  1. I love both your quilts! Great finish on the Crossroads quilt. I love scrappy 9 patches put anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I have never tried a flannel backing, with the winter we had down south, I need to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jamie! Just that one layer of flannel makes a real difference in warmth.

      Delete
  3. Congrats! on your nearly completed RSC quilt. BOTH quilts are absolutely wonderful!! The bulk of the 2nd quilt could be quilted just like the first. Stitch in the ditch for the piano keys and something flow-y in the outer border. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joyful! Thanks for the suggestions on quilting. I was kind of thinking along those lines.

      Delete
  4. Exploring the zoo with a mooing grandchild sounds like just too much fun. Congratulations on the finish. Blue or red binding would be a great finish. Enjoy the quilting on your next quilt. More diagonal lines would look great with all the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, scraphappy! Diagonal lines are not too hard, especially on the twin sized quilts I usually make.

      Delete
  5. Both of these quilts just make me smile! So much scrappy goodness :) Congrats on finishing Crossroads! The nine patch one looks really great with the soothing border. I'd probably do an all over quilt motif because there are so many fun fabrics in the blocks, but you really can't go wrong with any quilting on this classic design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I wish I knew how to do a Baptist fan design. I have a friend with a long arm who quilts Baptist fans freehand. I think it would look good on this quilt.

      Delete
  6. Both of your Quilts are colorful and happy. Grandchildren are the best thing about getting older. Enjoy every minute with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula B! I am amazingly lucky to have 4 wonderful grandchildren, all living within an hour's drive of my house!

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the finish of Crossroads! It turned out wonderfully, and I totally understand about the cute little charm packs and how hard they are to resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christina! It was my go-to quilt while I was sick last weekend. Guess it's broken in now.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!