Saturday, July 14, 2018

Inchworms, Misfit Pickles, and Wagon Trails


Red is our color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this month.  It's another red week here, smack dab in the middle of July.  Our little flag is still flying, even though my Little Buddy keeps taking it out of the flower pot, waving it like he's in a parade, and jamming it in again.
There's red inside the house too.  The windowsill in my living room is no longer the Dead Plants Society it was at the end of the winter.  Old plants are cleaned up or tossed out, and new plants are growing and blooming.

We're still picking raspberries, red and black, and we're finding some stowaways on them.  Can you see the little green worm in the bottom left of the photo above?  It's an inchworm.  Who knew they were fond of raspberries?  Both Little Buddy and his 13 year old brother were interested in watching the inchworms move.  I get them out of the raspberries with a leaf and put them back in the yard.  Science lesson in disguise.
My favorite science is cooking, and I'm doing some small batch canning this year.  After all, we don't need huge amounts of canned goods now that there are only two of us living here.  These three jars of sweet pickle relish were made from "misfit pickles".  I buy them from a vendor at the West Bend Farmers Market, and that's how he labels bags of slightly less than perfect pickles.  They're often oddly shaped or small, but are perfectly good.  The misfit label makes me smile, and my mind goes back to the Island of Misfit Toys in the old Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Christmas special.
We had good nap times this week, so I got my Wagon Trail blocks done for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  This is 8 of them, side by side.
Can you see the dogs in the light print?   I used this twice in my Wagon Trail blocks, as it's a favorite of mine because ...
it looks like my dog Bella!  She's a classic hound, like the dogs in the conversation print.  This is a photo from Christmas, when she was looking out the window, anxiously awaiting the rest of the family.

There will definitely be more red around here this month.  I'm making 3 RSC quilts this year.
I'm looking forward to seeing what everybody else is doing with their red scraps.
Have a lovely, red-letter day!
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
Linking up with
Scrap Happy Saturday (at Soscrappy)
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
Oh Scrap






14 comments:

  1. Ha1 I did three RSC quilts one year...not all are quilted yet! Love all the red, and your hound who shares a name with my cat! We get 'misfit' (though the farmer doesn't call them that but I like it!) cukes, 3 for $1.50 off the stand, honour-system, and peppers at another stand, also tomatoes that are 'rejected' for Costco standards that are just as delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sandra! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one making 3 RSC quilts in one year! And thank goodness for all the "misfit" vegetables and fruits out there. I'd much rather have them than the perfect but tasteless ones in some stores.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful red blocks, and cute dog fabric, like yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, Frederique! I wish I had yards more of the dog fabric. Sadly, it is almost all used up.

      Delete
  3. I had to smile thinking of Little Buddy imagining he was in a parade with the flag. Great imagination!

    And I had to laugh when I saw the red raspberries. One year long long ago I took the kids out to pick red raspberries. We probably ate as many as we picked. We brought them home and I immediately started a batch of jam. As berries were cooking a whole bunch of little beetles started crawling out of the pot. Yikes...I was thinking of how we had probably eaten a few of the darned things. Anyway...I skimmed out as many as I could but made the jam anyway. It was some good red raspberry beetle jam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack! Beetles in the jam! Well, you can't waste those good raspberries. Thanks for a good laugh!

      Delete
  4. I like your Wagon Trail blocks - they're going to make fun looking designs in a final quilt! Great conversation print featuring Bella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie! I'm already looking forward to setting the Wagon Trail blocks together.

      Delete
  5. I have that canning cookbook. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's getting a little tattered, but still the best information around. And no electricity required!

      Delete
  6. I really like your RSC blocks. I don’t think I have seen them yet. How fun that the dogs in the fabric reminds you of your Bella.

    Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your post today! I need to take a lesson regarding small batch canning. I lean toward "it's a lot a work for just 4 jars of pickles!" But, really, it isn't!! Thanks for the fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! I actually like canning, even small batches. My favorite part is putting the jars away in the cabinet, all ready for the rest of the year. This week, raspberry jam!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!