Friday, July 27, 2018

Todays and Yesterdays

It's the last red week for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and my Mary's Basket blocks are done. ( I looked back at the pattern the other day, and realized the name in the book was Mary Ann's Basket, so I've been calling it the wrong name all along.  Ack!)
The blocks are pictured here with this little album.  I found it in an antique shop in Milwaukee several years ago.  It's not a photograph album, rather, a sort of autograph book.  The red velvet cover is in sad shape.  Most of the entries were made in the late 1890s, with a few earlier. The album's owner was a schoolgirl named Helen Emeline Zastrow, whose name in written on the front and back inside covers. 
It was a fad in the 19th century (and even later) for girls to get their friends and relatives to sign their books.  Many of the signers wrote little poems or quoted sayings.  One of my favorites of these is this:
"Our to-days and yesterdays are the blocks with which we build."
Very sincerely,
Clara Spies
Sept. 21, 1891.

Of course, having this made me want to know more about Helen Zastrow's life.  As amazing as it might seem, there were lots of Helen Zastrows living in Milwaukee in the relevant time period.  I believe the book's owner to have been born in 1883, the daughter of William (Wilhelm) Zastrow and his wife Albertine Penn Zastrow.  William's parents were German immigrants, but he was born in Milwaukee, like his daughter.
Unfortunately, Helen died in 1907 at age 23.  She was unmarried.  I have no idea how she died.  She is buried in the same cemetery with her parents and grandparents.

So that's a yesterday.  Here's another.
Last Saturday was the July meeting of the Wisconsin Quilt Study Group.  The topic for our meeting this time was antique sewing machines (I gave the talk) but we always have antique quilt show and tell.  This distressed quilt from the 1930s has red print sashing, and cute little 8 pointed stars for cornerstones.  Sadly anonymous, maker unknown, but a fun piece to look at.

What about today?
Good news!  Mrs. Pfaff is back, and back in action!  We're quilting a UFO, and making real progress.
My daughter brought me this mega zucchini (thanks to Google, I now know how to spell it!).  It was hiding in her garden.  I'm picturing lots of zucchini bread in our future.

I'm not sure what else the future will bring, but these are the blocks I'm building with--quilt blocks!
I'm wishing sunshine and quilt blocks for you this week, too.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
Linking up and Whooping Up at Confessions of a Fabric Addict 
Busy Hands Quilts
So Scrappy (home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge)
Oh Scrap













14 comments:

  1. Your baskets are so pretty! Loved the little book and historical info about its owner, too. That kind of thing is so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Little Penguin! I often think about history, especially women's history, when I make reproduction quilts.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the history!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old and new quilts and a Basket quilt in progress. Lots of RED along the way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joyful! I'm kind of wondering if I'm going to have too many blocks when the RSC winds up! Oh, well, might have to make 2 quilts!

      Delete
  4. How interesting that you were able to track down Helen Z! So many lives were too short back in those days. It's sobering to visit old graveyards and see entire families wiped out in a matter of weeks, often from influenza. Your baskets are looking fine, and I'm sure Mary Ann will forgive you for getting her name a little wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I love reading about your adventures, quilting at sea.

      Delete
  5. I love that you have the autograph book! I have one belonging to my great aunt, from 1902. The verses are so charming, and somewhat morbid. Interestingly enough, I matched up some of the names to a signature quilt she had from 1906. We treasure remembrances form the past! Love your colors in the newest work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Patricia! How wonderful, to have both the autograph book and the signature quilt, over a hundred years later!

      Delete
  6. Your blocks are lovely, whatever the proper name. Hope that your zucchini bread is delicious. Looks like there will be lots of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! I'm also going to make zucchini orzo. And maybe cookies. It's going to be all zucchini, all the time around here for a while.

      Delete
  7. I love basket blocks. And your red ones are really cute. They make me want to sew some up of my own. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!