Friday, September 7, 2018

Piecing It All Together

Like all of us, I have a real life.  Chores to do like laundry and dishes and cleaning and cooking and grocery shopping (never mind babysitting!)  And like all of us, I'm trying to fit my all-engrossing hobby of quilting into that life.
Mostly, it works out.
Above is my Little Buddy, helping me take pictures of the little quilt I finished this week.
It's a framed 4-patch, easy-peasy baby quilt for charity.
I've been making this pattern off and on for years after seeing an antique quilt in a magazine.  Naturally, I used my favorite bright and novelty prints for this child's quilt.
Little Buddy and I agree, we like this square best.  That is just the cheekiest T-rex ever.  Not scary at all, even with all those teeth.  I should learn more about rotating pictures, but it's late at night as I'm finding the time to post.  Maybe next week.
I haven't used teal for a binding very often, but it picked up colors here with both top and backing.

If you'd like to make a framed 4-patch like mine, here's the recipe.
1.  Make 4 patches with 3.5 in. cut squares, two light and two not-as-light.
2.  Frame the 4 patches with 2.5 in. cut strips.  You'll need two cut 6.5 in. long, and 2 cut 10.5 in. long.  Add the two shorter ones first, then the two longer ones.
The blocks finish at 10 in. square.
I made 12 blocks, and set them 3 x 4.
The yellow print border is cut 3.5 in. wide.
The finished quilt is fairly small, at 36 in. x 46 in.

I pieced this quilt several weeks ago, when Mrs. Pfaff was still under the weather.  She and I made short work of the utility quilting on this little quilt.  I call this quilting "sort-of straight line quilting".  The lines are about 1 inch apart, and sort-of straight.

So that's what's done!  Here's what's not done.
I'm burning the midnight oil, sewing my flying geese blocks for the Fly Away Home quilt, one of my projects for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
All the blocks like the ones in the bottom of the picture are done.  I need about 30 more of the flying geese blocks.
I've mostly been working on them in the morning, before the boys arrive.
Then there is this project.  I'm piecing these blocks for the Antebellum Album Block of the Month, run by quilt historian Barbara Brackman.  You can see the first post from January 2018 HERE, and follow the links for the other blocks.  We're up to 8, but as you can see I've only got 6 done so far.  Participants are using newer fabrics as well as reproductions.  Mine are very traditionally red, cream, and green.
Here is yet another little quilt to be quilted, maybe this week.  It will be a lap quilt for charity.  Mrs. Pfaff and I are willing and able, we just have to find the time.
We're sliding into fall here!
My Big Buddy starts 8th grade on Monday (hard to believe!).  Little Buddy will still be here to keep Grandpa and me company.
Today he had finished eating some yogurt, more with his hands than his spoon.  I said something like "Aren't you a mess?" while I went to get a wash cloth.
"Hot mess!" he said.
And it was TRUE.
We both had a laugh about that.

I'm wishing you lots of laughs and lots of stitches this week.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
Linking up with:
Amanda Jean (welcome back!) at Crazy Mom Quilts
Sarah at Confessions of A Fabric Addict 
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts
Angela at Soscrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap 

Come enjoy all the linky fun with us!











16 comments:

  1. Your little Buddy is adorable. :) That antebellum quilt is going to be a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I'm having lots of fun making the Antebellum blocks, and making a big mess sorting through fabrics!

      Delete
  2. Cute four patch quilt! I've been making similar ones. I really like the bright yellow border on yours. Of course, all quilts are better with little Buddies standing on them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! You are so right, everything is better with a Little Buddy. It's okay with me if he takes a while to grow up.

      Delete
  3. I love your 4 patch quilt! Looks a great, quick and easy one for donating. Fun way to show off cute prints, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Little Penguin! There are so many cute prints out there.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap! All of your projects look great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! And as always, thanks for hosting the Oh Scrap linky party. Every week, I take away a new idea or inspiration from the people who share their quilts with you/us.

      Delete
  5. How nice to have a little Buddy to help. I remember those days...they grow up and have no interest after that.

    I make Happy Blocks similar to your Framed 4 patches for donation quilts. I'm going to have to give your Framed 4Ps a try one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Cathy! Happy Blocks--that sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recipe. It makes a delicious quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! You can vary the ingredients as you like, and even double or triple the recipe if you're "serving" a bigger quilt.

      Delete
  8. Now that looks like a quick recipe. How sweet! It's always nice to have a couple ideas in a little recipe box. Remember those? It looks like a great way to use some of the novelty scraps we all have languishing in a different box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary! Hey, that's a good idea, a recipe file for go-to quilt patterns! Especially for that box of novelty scraps (mine is overflowing).

      Delete
  9. Beautiful work, great way to use your scraps.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!