Saturday, September 22, 2018

Chain Chain Chain

It's a beautiful sunny morning here in Wisconsin.  We can tell fall weather is coming from the cool temperatures and the few trees that are starting to change color.
I'd say it was quilting season, but for me, it always is!  Winter, spring, summer or fall.  How about you?
Today's "finish" is just a flimsy.
The pattern is Carolina Chain, by Bonnie Hunter, from her book Addicted to Scraps.
It's a great pattern, but of course I changed it for my quilt (as I always do) just to make it my way.
In the pattern,the blocks are on point, with scrappy blue side triangles and no borders.  I set my blocks on the straight, and added a border.  I also used lots and lots of my favorite novelty prints, both in lights and darks.  It was so much fun to piece. 
I keep using this butterfly/dragonfly fabric in everything.  I got about 5 yards of it in a $5.00 bag at Goodwill.
How am I going to quilt it?  I'm NOT.  I'm handing it over to the ladies at the quilt group.  They'll quilt it on a longarm, and I'll probably get it back for binding.  Then it will go to charity.
We just found out that the local Boys and Girls Club needs quilts for the kids.  I think this would work for that project, but it will go wherever it's needed.

In other news, I'm in the home stretch, piecing my Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts.
The blocks for the Fly Away Home quilt are almost done!  I ran out of white fabric to finish the last few flying geese blocks, so I'll have to get some today.  Can't wait to put this one together.
All the Wagon Trail blocks are done, and are ready to sew together.  I'm going to set the blocks together in fours, quilt them, and then set them together.

New projects keep calling my name.  (Why is that?)  Last Wednesday night, we had a speaker at our quilt group meeting who showed us amazing ways to make quilts from panels.  I was so inspired, I had to dig around in the basement and find my panels bin.
I have more than I thought I had.  Even an alphabet and teddy bears set from the 1980s.  What exactly am I going to do with these?  It will be fun to find out.
Little Buddy loves to have his picture taken.  He likes "helping" Grandma.

Thanks, Bonnie Hunter, for the inspiration and the terrific pattern.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with
Angela at soscrappy
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts
Cynthia at Oh Scrap













19 comments:

  1. Your quilt from Addicted to scraps is wonderful! So many ideas and fun thoughts. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your Carolina Chain quilt, too! I'm going to have to find a copy of that book to read through it. Maybe your Little Buddy needs an ABC quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Little Penguin! I think the ABC quilt could work. He always thinks any quilts I make are his anyway.

      Delete
  3. Thank You! I have that Bonnie book and I have loads of novelty fabrics, so now I have a direction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Sue SA! Novelty fabrics are my absolute favorite.

      Delete
  4. Love your chain quilt! So bright and happy. And I really hope you'll be sharing some of those panel tips! I love working with panels and am always eager to learn new ways to use them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! I hope I can remember even part of what our speaker shared with us! She was great fun, and made such cute quilts from panels.

      Delete
  5. Really like your Carolina Chain! Such a great quilt. I made one as a leader/ender for our grandson and he loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellie! It's a great pattern (thanks again, Bonnie Hunter!)

      Delete
  6. You have so many great scrappy quilts in this post. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap! I always love to see what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Cynthia! I absolutely love what you did with the log cabin blocks.

      Delete
  7. What a bright and cheerful quilt top. It looks so cute. A child will sure love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jasmine! I always hope these quilts will brighten someone's day, and show the kids that other people care.

      Delete
  8. Great progress for you! Love your chain quilt from Addicted to Scraps! I am in the process of making one of BH's designs called Rick Rack Nines from her Adventures in Leader and Enders book! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, grammajudyb! I've often wanted to make the Rick Rack Nines! It's on my list for someday. Gotta love Bonnie Hunter!

      Delete
  9. So much beautiful scrappy love to see here. Your Carolina Chain is dancing with lovely colour and pattern. Oh my, wasn't the butterfly fabric a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! More and more, I love bright colors. Maybe because my eyes are getting older?

      Delete
  10. Your Carolina Chain version is so much fun! I, too, find new projects calling to me, louder than the UFOs clamoring for attention. I feel y our pain! Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!