Saturday, January 5, 2019

First of the Year

Happy 2019, everyone!
We're having some very unusual weather for January in Wisconsin, but I don't think anybody is complaining.  It's going up to the 40s today, and the snow is melting away.  Hard to believe I can hang my little finished quilt outside.
It was summer when I got the flimsy done.  My Little Buddy is posing on it, wearing his favorite choo choo shirt.
I got the free pattern at a local quilt show in 2016.  It's called Cabin Steps.  Click HERE for the free PDF.  I made a small quilt in this pattern (and blogged about it HERE), and then this larger one.  I did change my block a little, making it 9 in. square instead of 12.  The print pieces are cut 2 in. x 3.5 in.
It was so much fun to use all these little novelty print scraps.
As soon as I get the label sewn on, it can go to a new home with a child who needs it.
It's Rainbow Scrap Challenge time!  January is red, red, red.  So far all I've done on this project is drag out the strips and scraps.  I can't wait to get on to sewing stars.
Speaking of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I am finally quilting my Buckeye Beauty blocks from 2017.  I made them from a combination of 1930s reproduction prints and real feedsacks, and the border and backing are also feedsacks.  Wait til you see the weird back.  Maybe I'll be done in a week or two.  I'm leaving the RSC 2017 button up on my blog until I get both of the 2017 quilts done.

Pop-up Project!
Just like everybody else in America (or maybe the world?) I'm trying to get more organized.  I have goals for finishing my UFOs, or at least some of them.  But every now and then you have to do something new and/or spontaneous.  (Hey, I am not a robot!)
So here's my pop-up project--a cloth grocery bag.
I made it from a remnant I bought second hand.  The fabric is sturdy, like duck or denim.  I think next time I might like longer handles.
Here's what it looked like when I took it to the food co-op today.  It held up very well to the 15 pounds of beans and rice in the bottom of the bag.  (They had a sale, and I'm stocking up.)
I can't show you the rest of my cloth grocery bags, because they are so beat up and embarrassing.  I think I might make some more new ones.  It's good to have a quick project to finish.

I'm wishing you joy this week, whatever you are working on.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches


Come join the linky parties!
Linking up with
Angela at soscrappy
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts
Cynthia at Oh Scrap









15 comments:

  1. looks good- i like your rainbow I spy quilt! what is a coop? we dont' have those around here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jennifer! There are all kinds of food co-ops (short for cooperative). The one I go to is just like a grocery store, and anyone can shop there, but if you pay a yearly membership fee, you get cash back and better pricing on some items. My co-op is focused on healthy food, organic and/or local as much as possible. I shop there about once a month.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi, Maggie! It does use up a lot of scraps. But why do I still have so many? I keep busting my stash but it never gets busted. (Maybe that's a good thing?)

      Delete
  3. Your novelty scraps make that quilt so cheerful! It will be a wonderful gift for someone. The grocery bag came out very nicely and is so practical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary R.! I have a real thing for novelty fabrics. And groceries!

      Delete
  4. Getting your reds out and organized is a great way to start the new year. Always nice to have fabric shopping bags on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Angela! Thanks as always for the RSC. It's a great motivator.

      Delete
  5. A Really lovely flimsy you've finished!! Neat pattern, too...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julierose! The pattern checks all my boxes--simple, scrappy, and free!

      Delete
  6. Love, love, LOVE your newly completed Cabin Steps quilt!! Thank you for providing the link. Enjoy your RED sewing for the RSC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! We're in the red this month, but it's a good thing! I really enjoy reading your blog and seeing what you're up to.

      Delete
  7. I have dug out my red scraps too. I can't wait to get sewing on my RSC block's. Thanks for sharing your lovely scrappy quilt with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cynthia! I've been roaming around in your Scrap-a-Palooza files lately. There sure is some good inspiration in there!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!