Saturday, January 12, 2019

Start With the Scraps

I really believe it.  The best quilts start with scraps.  So of course I LOVE the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  But I got a little off track when deciding what to make this year.  And that was because I DIDN'T start with the scraps.
Here's the block I was planning on making.  It's a cute block, nothing wrong with it at all.  Except I was just thinking about the cuteness and not about using up my overflowing scraps.

This block uses only 2.5 in. strips.  Which is great if you haven't been using 2.5 in. strips for literally years, and neglecting all the other sizes of scraps.
This is my small overflowing bin of 4.5 in. strips, in bright colors.  (It was a lot messier before I decided I needed to take a picture of it.)  Do you think maybe I should use some of these scraps to make a quilt?  I think it's their turn.  And taking turns is nice, as I say to my Little Buddy every day.
So here's the block for my bright RSC quilt for this year.
Red is a wonderful color for January.  It's such a bright contrast with the gloomy days we've had lately.
I'm making the blocks into rows of 8 blocks across.
I don't know exactly how I'll set the rows together at the end.  I do know that it will be easy to quilt on my home machine.
One bonus of this block--I'm using up scraps of light fabrics also.

More red!  We went antiquing a couple of weeks ago.  There are amazing antique quilts hanging from the ceiling at the Roscoe Antique Mall in Beloit, Wisconsin.
I loved this Feathered Star, but the photo is more or less spoiled by the light fixture in front of it.

Scrap quilting always seems like recycling to me, which is another reason to love it.  I am very into recycling.
Speaking of recycling, check out these socks I got for Christmas!
They are made in part from recycled plastic bottles!!!
Warm, cute, and recycled.  That's my kind of stuff.

I'm wishing the coming week is filled with your kind of stuff, whatever that may be.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at Soscrappy
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts
Cynthia at Oh Scrap












13 comments:

  1. Love how your RSC strips are coming--great use of multi colored scraps ...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julierose! I am having a lot of fun with this.

      Delete
  2. Love, love, LOVE!!! Your new scrappy blocks. That gorgeous RED and white quilt hanging from the rafters. Your new (partially) recycled socks. And... I couldn't agree more with your statement about the BEST quilts being made with SCRAPS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! Scraps may not always be thrifty (especially if I have to cut new ones out of yardage!) but they are always fun.

      Delete
  3. Very smart to use the size scraps you're drowning in! And making rows will simplify putting together the final quilt later. Win win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I'm trying to think ahead this year, for a change!

      Delete
  4. I love using HSTs to make zig-zag designs - great idea! Both of the quilts you spied in the antique mall are beauties! I never see quilts of that quality when I'm out hunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Angie! These were the best quilts we saw all day. Sometimes the "antique malls" are actually junk stores, and the quilts are 1980s comforters. (Yikes!)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Gayle! I saw them somewhere on line, not an original idea at all of course. They are easy to make, and will also be easy to quilt.

      Delete
  6. Oh I like all your reds!! that zig zag is cool! and your purple block is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! I will have to figure out something else to do with the purple block.

      Delete
  7. Those reds look great with the lights in a chevron setting. I partial to chevrons for some reason. I guess it has to do with having made a few that I really liked. And I like that purple star, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!