Saturday, February 16, 2019

Whole Heartedly Quilting

Welcome to the blog!  Above is the view out my back door today.  We had a good snowfall earlier this week (about 10 inches or so) to go with the ice from last week.  Most of the terrible cold temps were gone, so my grandson and I ventured out to play on Wednesday and Thursday.  The dog got a good run, too.  You can see our tracks in the snow.
My yellow zigzag rows are done for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!  There are 8 blocks in each row, and the rows are 64 in. wide.  I'm wondering if that will be enough, or if I'll need a border or two to make it bigger.
Here are the January and February rows together.  I'm liking this quilt more all the time.  It has been great to sew the yellow blocks while everything outside is so blah.  Thanks, Angela!

I had an extra day to sew this week since my daughter had a day off, so I tried to make good use of it.  Sewing is the best when you're snowed in, isn't it?
More bright colors!  I finished my heart quilt top, just before Valentine's Day.  Each heart is a different print, mostly novelties.  I used this tutorial from Cluck Cluck Sew in the 6 in. finished size (click HERE), and added 2.5 in. strips of solid colors around each heart.  Each of my blocks measures 10 in. finished.
The border is made up of 2.5 x 4.5 in. rectangles in bright colors.  I put a 4.5 in. (cut) square of blue print in each corner.
With all these colors, I think I can pretty much bind with whatever color I want.
I'm planning to quilt it myself, and donate it.

So, what's next?
Cleaning out the bins, one bin at a time.

This is my 1930s reproduction fabric bin.
I also have this small annex bin for the 2.5 in. strips and squares. I took all the fabric out of the big bin, washed anything that hadn't been washed, and cut up any scraps to my usual sizes of 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5 and 5 in. strips/squares.  Then I sorted the remaining pieces by size, from fat quarters to several yards.
I used to have lots more 1930s stuff, and I really love it, but I think I might need to start using it up instead of just hoarding it and petting it.

Hmm, there might be a project calling me from these bins.

For now, back to hand quilting the redwork quilt. 
Only 6 more sashings and the border left!

I'm wishing sunshine and all good things for you this week.
Cheers for reading this,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at Soscrappy
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts
Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
Cynthia at Oh Scrap






22 comments:

  1. I loved reading your post and looking at all the photos. The hearts quilt is lovely, bright and cheerful. Your zigzag strips are great, a super idea for a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! The zigzag idea is one I stole from someone on the internet (wish I could remember who). It is easy and fun to make these blocks, and that's just what I'm looking for.

      Delete
  2. I am working on using up my thirties too. Trying to make some donation quilts from their bright cheery colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvia the pattern you asked about over on my blog is called Anita's arrowheads. Here is the link. http://oldwww.quiltmaker.com/patterns/details.html?idx=12909

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link, Joanne! This is an amazing way to make this block. I bet it would work with all those 30s prints, too!

      Delete
  3. Love, love, LOVE your zigzag rows, that newly completed quilt top, AND your amazing snow picture!! That would make a lovely art quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I'm afraid art quilts are beyond my skills. Feel free to use the photo if you'd like!

      Delete
  4. I love those zigzags, too, and the beautiful heart quilt! Enjoy your hand quilting time today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Sometimes you just have to get off the production line, take a deep breath, and go with the flow.

      Delete
  5. Love those zig zag blocks. And your heart quilt is so bright and happy. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I'm hoping the warmth inside makes up for the cold outside.

      Delete
  6. It always amazes me to see that much snow. Even when I lived further north, we never had that much, and now, well, a snowfall is a rare thing.

    I love your zig zag strips. The fabrics are just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marti! By the way, it is pouring down snow right now, and has been all day. We had it easy the last couple of years, but now it's back.

      Delete
  7. Love your heart quilt...so bright, fun and looking looking! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! The older I get, the more I love bright colors.

      Delete
  8. We keep getting that much snow then it melts then we get ice then it melts then it gets below zero. I'm ready for Spring!

    I love your zig zags.

    And I have a redwork quilt in the hand quilting queue. Are you going to do cross hatch quilting or just on the diagonal? And I am wondering if you are stitching right through the red embroidery. My quilt is Mother Goose and it's just for the hope chest for a first great grandkid some day so I'm in no hurry but I'm just not sure how to proceed with the quilting. Maybe just dig in and get started? You've inspired me now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy!
      About the redwork quilt--I quilted diagonal lines right across the embroidery on the blocks. If there was a thick line right where a stitch would fall, I sometimes just went under it. I'm outline quilting the sashes, just a quarter of an inch from the seams. I still have no idea what I'm going to do in the border, and it's my OMG for February! The blocks are really old (1916) so I'm going for a vintage look.
      Good luck! I'm sure your quilt will be amazing.

      Delete
  9. This post is so full of bright, happy colors! Very cheerful on a cold winter day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! We need the bright colors, especially at this time of year. But spring is coming--my Mom says it's already getting started in Oklahoma!

      Delete
  10. Sylvia, your wish for sunshine for me definitely came true. We've had a couple of beautiful days--sunshine, cool breeze, and not too much pollen since it's still early in the year and very few things are blooming. Gorgeous!
    Your quilts are such bright, happy pieces! Definitely able to brighten up your wintry days. Glad you could enjoy the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary! I'm so glad you had such nice weather. It will happen here soon, I know. It's just hard to wait!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!