Saturday, February 23, 2019

Quilting Like Mad

Has anybody else got an OMG deadline you haven't yet met?  ACK!  I've got til Thursday to finish this little redwork quilt for the One Monthly Goal February challenge (click HERE for details), so I'm hand quilting until my fingers bleed, or at least hurt. 
Two of the borders are done, so I do have an actual chance to finish if I keep after it.  I'm using this rope design.  I chose it because a) I had it already; b) I don't see how I could use this stencil for machine quilting; and c) it's an old fashioned design for an old fashioned quilt.
I've been working on this quilt during my Little Buddy's naptime, and sometimes in the evening when watching TV.  The best programs for hand quilting, in my opinion, are on PBS.  No commercials.  We record nearly everything we watch, and skip the commercials when we play it back, which means grabbing the remote every few minutes to buzz through all the people trying to sell us luxury cars, medicine with truly terrifying side effects, financial services we don't need, and delicious-looking food we shouldn't eat.  Time spent buzzing is time not spent stitching.
And of course, I have more than one project going on!  Having (finally!) decided on a backing, bought it, washed, and pieced it, I am at last machine quilting my Wagon Trail quilt, one of last year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts.  Above is the design I chose for the open spaces.
I'm using Golden Threads paper to get the design on the quilt.  I mark a square of the paper with the design, using a permanent pen, pin it to the top with safety pins, and then twist and turn (and possibly swear a little), quilting this on my domestic machine with the built in walking foot.  I'm liking the look of it, but I am very glad I'm doing this in two sections.  As a complete quilt I would not be able to manage this design at all.
So that's the quilty stuff I'm up to!  Also, this:
I got this book from the library--Modern Quilt Magic, by Victoria Findlay Wolfe.  (Click HERE to go to her author page at Amazon.)  It was fun to read and to look through the colorful quilt pictures.  She is an inspiring artist, and I actually got to meet her once.  I hear from acquaintances that she is an excellent teacher.
When not reading or quilting this week, I was having fun with my Little Buddy.
This is my youngest grandson on the giant pile of snow at the side of our driveway.  I have a similar photo of his mother doing the same thing.
Little Buddy loves the snow!  (Can you tell?)
This week, I'm wishing you this kind of joy, in the simple things.  Like a four foot snow drift.  (But just the joy, not the snow.)
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts
Angela at So Scrappy
Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
Cynthia at Oh Scrap








8 comments:

  1. Joy in the simple things - that is the best attitude to have! I don't even mind having snow involved. How wonderful to have two projects at the quilting stage! Good luck meeting your OMG goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I love your cheerful sunflower blocks, and all your Tiny Tuesday blocks, too.

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about the commercials...so annoying! I'm glad you're close on your OMG so you can give your poor fingers a break soon. Maybe Little Buddy will kiss them and make them better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! I've been wearing a bandaid on my thumb. Little Buddy worries about it. He says, "You hurt you-self". I've been expecting him to ask for a bandaid too.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the handquilting! (My finger tips are currently sore from pushing hard on a handquilting finish...)
    Love your happy Little Buddy in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gayle! I feel your pain! It's worth it, though, I think.

      Delete
  4. I have a deadline quilt to get done by month end. I have a feeling I will be finishing up the binding on the night of the 28th!

    Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cynthia! If it wasn't for the last minute, I don't know if I'd ever get anything done. Good luck!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!