Saturday, April 13, 2019

Bits and Pieces

Welcome to the blog!  Do you have one of these?  This is my "bits" basket, a place for scraps too small to go in my strip drawers or boxes of cut squares.
These are some of the bits I pulled out to make aqua blocks, for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month.  I make them like slab blocks or crumb blocks.  (The cute monsters scrap didn't make the cut.  Sorry, monsters, just not enough aqua.)
I already had two projects going for the RSC, but this just sort of happened, as things do, so I'm rolling with it.  I will need to go back and make a few more blocks in the colors for January, February, and March.  Not a problem, there are lots of bits and pieces.
I didn't realize until I took this picture, but this block features a lion's butt, complete with tail.  Just a little secret to find in the eventual finished quilt.
Flowers may not be blooming outside yet, but the orchid in the windowsill is going crazy.  Little Buddy and I have been enjoying watching the buds open.  He thinks they should hurry up.
The color reminds me of the fabrics in this little quilt I finished this week for Jack's Basket, as part of the Hands 2 Help Comfort Quilt Challenge.
It's a Trip Around the World quilt, made in pink and green.  The squares are charm square size, 5 in. x 5 in.  I used up some of my 5 in. squares and strips, which I was saving just for this purpose. 
The charity requests quilts made 36 in. square, which has been kind of a fun challenge for me.

I always think of these quilt patterns sort of like recipes.
Here's the recipe for this one.

Trip Around the World Baby Quilt
finished size:  36 in. x 36 in.
All squares are cut 5 in. x 5 in.
When I make this pattern, I lay the squares out as I go, and then sew them into rows.  As you can see from the photo, the colors go in rounds.
Round one: the center.  1 square
Round 2: 4 squares.  (I used a lighter fabric to contrast with the surrounding squares.)
Round 3:  8 squares
Round 4:  12 squares
Round 5:  12 squares
Round 6:  8 squares
Round 7:  the corners.  4 squares.  I cut mine from the same cupcake fabric I used for the center.

This is a total of 49 squares, set 7 x 7.  These squares finish at 4.5 in.
7 x 4.5=31.5 in. square
To make the quilt finish at 36 in. square, we need to add borders cut at 2.75 in. (two and three-quarters).  After sewing, they will measure 2.25 in.
Here's the math on the total.
31.5 + 2.25 +2.25=36  (or, 8 x 4.5=36)

Can you see the cute cupcake fabric in the center?  I only had a few squares of this, bought second hand on a sale table.
Simple quilting goes very fast on these little quilts, and then they're ready to mail off.  I hope this one will be cheerful and sweet for a new baby.
More Jack's Basket quilts are in the works!  I'm going to fill up a box before I send them.
At long, long last, the redwork quilt is finished!  I had the hand quilting done as my February OMG, and just this week finished hand sewing down the binding.  I don't know why I just never wanted to pick it up and put in those last stitches, but I finally got up the gumption and did it.  I'm keeping this one.  It's sort of a "new" antique, made from old blocks.

My life tends to be really busy.  Little bits and pieces of sewing time make me happy, and make everything run more smoothly.

This week, I'm wishing you joy in all you do.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at Soscrappy
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts
Cynthia at Oh Scrap
Hands 2 Help Check In 














16 comments:

  1. Your crumb blocks are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lion's butt cracks me up! A little extra fun in those crumb blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gayle! We all need a little extra fun sometimes, right? Maybe I should put those monsters in after all.

      Delete
  3. Hey! When did you sneak into my studio and take pictures of my aqua crumb blocks? And my crumb basket?? I swear, my table looks EXACTLY like that right now. Except for the lion butt, ha ha! Crumb blocks are kind of addicting, aren't they? It's a slow process, though. I figure it takes me 6-7 hours to make the equivalent of a fat quarter :)

    Thanks for the TOTW "recipe." I'm saving this post to my files!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! Wow, I just looked at your latest post, and was totally blown away. You have made so many creative quilts. I'm writing down your fruit quilt measurements--such a good idea.

      Delete
  4. Yes, thanks for sharing your recipe. I know I could have figured it out, but now I won’t have to! Crumb blocks are favorites of mine too! I’m quickly running out if aqua.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, grammajudyb! I'm running out of aqua, too. It's not a color I've used much in the past, but I really do like it.

      Delete
  5. What fun things you've been working on! I've got crumb blocks in the works, too - and also have to decide what to do with them! Your H2H quilt is so sweet- I really like the layout you used for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diann! I want to do something different with my crumb blocks, but I'm not sure what yet. Maybe I'll just keep making them until something comes to me.

      Delete
  6. Your crumb blocks are so much fun! And your little quilt for H2H is super sweet. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I love all your great ideas for actually using our scraps!

      Delete
  7. Looks like you had some fun with AQUA scrap. Congrats! on your finish for Jack's Basket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! These little quilts are so much fun to make.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!