Friday, April 26, 2019

Marmalade and Dinosaurs, OMG

This is marmalade--orange on the right, grapefruit on the left.  I am a BIG fan of it, especially on homemade whole wheat toast.  It's sweet, but with a citrus kick.
This is my OMG, one monthly goal, for April--a quilt called Marmalade Cake, from the book Dessert Roll Quilts, by Pam and Nicky Lintott.  I finished the top this morning, before my grandson arrived for the day.
The original quilt used lots of orange prints, hence the name.  My quilt top uses 1930s prints with solid blue and white for a very different look.
All the prints are 5 in. squares.  The half square triangles are cut from 5 in. strips with the Easy Angle ruler.
I tried to take a photo outside (fail).  This is the best I could do today, with the wind.  At least we had sunshine.  It's supposed to snow tomorrow.  (Not kidding.)
Here's some fun we had this week.  We took our Little Buddy to visit his cousins in Kenosha, and we all went to the dinosaur museum.  The older kids were on spring break this week.
It's a small museum, located in the old post office, but they make very good use of the space.  This is our granddaughter dressed up as a dinosaur with a fluffy tail.
Little Buddy is wild about dinosaurs.  He had a wonderful time, as we all did.

In other news, I did a little downsizing.
This is the first treadle sewing machine I ever owned.  I was swayed by the beauty and the age of it.  The name on the irons and nearly gone from the decals is "Superba".
Check out this animal on the pillar--is it a wolf?
An online friend told me it was made in Germany in 1905.
I loved this machine, but I never did get it to sew reliably.  I passed it on to a gentleman who will probably succeed where I failed.  Giving it away feels very good.  I got my money's worth out of it, just in the joy of having it for many years.
Goodbye, Superba!
Finding a good new home for this treadle was made possible by my friend Joey M., who took photos and posted it to several Facebook groups for me, as I'm not on Facebook anymore.  Thanks, Joey!
Here's a fun thing I bought--a new water bottle.  Could this be my aqua for the week?  I think it must be meant for quilters.  Isn't it pretty?  I bought my husband a plainer one, and he's jealous, but this one is just for me.

For the coming week, I'm wishing fun for you, however you define it.  Just good old-fashioned fun.
Cheers for reading this,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
Linking up with:
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts
Patty at Elm Street Quilts--April OMG 
Cynthia at Oh Scrap











16 comments:

  1. Your blue marmalade top is very pretty! Sounds like the Easy Angle ruler is quite useful. I've been hearing about it on a lot of blogs lately. Glad you had so much fun with the kids and have the satisfaction to passing along Superba to just the right new owner :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Louise! Thanks for the kind comments. I would definitely recommend the Easy Angle ruler. Because I can cut the triangles needed from the same size strip as the squares, I don't end up with any weird sized scraps. And I don't have to draw any blankety blank lines on fabric!

      Delete
  2. I agree about the easy angle ruler! No oversize cutting, just to trim up later! Wasteful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your marmalade looks yummy! I'm guessing it is homemade? And the marmalade quilt is lovely! I really like the design those blocks make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! It's a simple pattern, just a split square really, but an interesting way to set them together. Dessert Roll Quilts is one of my all time favorite books. (Oh, yes, the marmalade is homemade.)

      Delete
  4. Pretty quilt top and pretty new AQUA agua bottle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I was thinking of you when I posted the photo. You always seem to find the color of the month wherever you go!

      Delete
  5. I understand that your husband is jealous, your bottle is so cute, a quilters' dream ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, Frederique! I got it at Target, of all places.

      Delete
  6. Pretty quilt, looks great in 30s prints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie H.! I was trying to use up the 30s prints, but somehow I didn't even make a dent.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful quilt top! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patty! This is my first year of the OMG, and it is really helping me. Thank you for hosting it!

      Delete
  8. Lovely scrappy quilt top. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I'm enjoying your progress on your Kaffe quilt. Scrap quilts are the best!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!