Saturday, May 18, 2019

Block by Block

Hello!  Thanks for stopping by!
This week is all about the blocks.  I've been making Sawtooth Square blocks (above) with crumb centers, in the colors of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  This month is orange.
I already had two RSC quilts in the works, but this one just came out of nowhere and added itself to the list.  (Does this ever happen to you?)  So now I'm working backwards, making the aqua blocks for April.  Next will be green, yellow, and red.  I'm hoping to catch up before too long.
When I took the photo of all six of the blocks, I could see all these eyes staring at me from this center.  I didn't realize I had done that.  It's a little creepy.
More orange blocks--my spiky stars made from 1800s reproduction fabrics.  Orange is not an easy color to find for reproduction quilts...
but I had a few prints that I really like.
The star points on the block above are the same fabric as the center of the first block.  Context really makes a difference, doesn't it?
As you can see, the spiky stars are quilted by the block.  I love doing this!  It is so fast and easy, and I can do outline quilting, which was very typical of quilts from this era (although those ladies outlined by hand, not by machine).
Aqua is another unusual color for reproduction quilts.  I got around to finishing these blocks from last month too.
This one is my favorite!  The center is a Lewis and Clark print I've been saving for a long time.
Lastly, I actually finished something--these 3 potholders, made from the last of my wild house blocks.  They are made just like a very small quilt, down to the all machine-sewn binding.

I did do something wacky here.  Instead of using batting scraps as per usual, I cut up an old cotton terry cloth towel and used that instead.  It worked great!
Here are the backs.

These were fun!  And now I can throw out my rattiest potholders, you know, the ones with the stains and rips, that have seen me through dinners and baking and pots boiling over.  It's a fresh start for the kitchen drawer.

Later today, we get to go to a dinosaur-themed birthday party.  Little Buddy is turning three! (Already?)  The weather today is gloomy, but we'll have fun today with family and friends.

I'm wishing all of us the joy of fresh starts and milestones on our journeys.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up today with
Angela at Soscrappy
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict 
Cynthia at Oh Scrap










6 comments:

  1. You sure made a dent in your scraps. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie H.! Why do I seem to have more scraps than when I started?

      Delete
  2. Such a busy quilter this week, Sylvia. And... Happy Birthday. Little Buddy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of great blocks going on here! I like all the little faces peeking out of your aqua sawtooth. Not creepy, but cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I love all these crazy novelty fabrics.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!