Friday, August 9, 2019

Quilt Inspirations in Paris: Part One

This is my hubby, on the banks of the Seine, with Notre Dame Cathedral in the background.  We actually went to Paris!  I can still hardly believe it.
Here's a peak at the inside of my carry on bag.  I like to knit when I fly, because knitting helps me calm down.  I'm not afraid to fly (I actually LIKE to fly), I'm just afraid something will go wrong and we won't get to fly, or we'll be stuck somewhere.  (This has happened.)
I really needed my knitting this time, as we had a weather delay that made us miss our connection, so we lost an entire day of our vacation.
We did finally get there, and it was definitely worth it.

Our first stop?  A flea market!  On our way into Paris from the airport, we stopped at a train station, checked our bags, and walked off to a more or less permanent flea market.  (We both wish we'd taken pictures of the place, sorry.)  There were three or four full city blocks of stalls, selling everything from knock-off clothing to antiques.
Here's what I bought--a yard of vintage fabric, and this odd stamp.
I'm not sure what this started out to be, as the metal is obviously broken at the top, but I'm planning to use it to make labels for my quilts.  The little shop was amazing, just crammed with old fabrics and linens.  (Below is an image from the internet, to give you an idea.)

Marche aux Puces de Saint Ouen flea market Paris Stock ...


Hubby and I are not always typical tourists.  He's a retired scientist, and I love history, so we often visit museums when we travel.
I took these pictures in the Louvre.  The first three come from the palace of Darius I, and date to at least 400 BC.
 Does this look familiar?
How about these triangles?  I'm afraid the beautiful deep aqua color of these bricks doesn't come through in my cell phone photos.
More "Dresden plates".  Looks like around 16 petals.

Not a great photo, but can you see the clam shells decorating this Roman basin?  Many of our motifs have ancient roots.

Quilting designs were just about everywhere, even underfoot.

What about this neat little star in the floor tiles?  It might be fun to make a quilt center based on this pattern.
Or if you're really ambitious, check out this design!  And there are nine patches in the background.

I didn't get any quilting done in Paris (way too tired from sight seeing all day), but my stress knitting helped me make these hats.
These will go to the Mittens and More drive hosted by the local PBS station.  My yarn scraps can go for something worthwhile--making sure Wisconsin kids are warm this winter.  I hope to get lots more done before the October due date.
I took this picture standing on Pont Neuf.  On our next to last night, we went on one of these tour boats just as the sun was going down and the lights were coming on.

It was a once in a lifetime trip, and I'm so glad we went.
In part two, I'll show you photos of lots of old sewing machines.

I hope your week is filled with inspiration and joy.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap
















18 comments:

  1. lovely way to get knitting for needy children done while flying. Your vacation looks wonderful we always visit a lot of museum when we travel to cities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. There are so many wonderful treasures in museums.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a fantastic visit! Thanks for sharing all the quilty inspiration photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! It was an unforgettable trip. Thanks for putting up with my amateur travelog.

      Delete
  3. Cute hats and lovely scenery, Sylvia!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Paris photos - what a great trip! I love seeing the ancient designs that make their way into our quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I guess there's not much new under the sun.

      Delete
  5. thanks so much for the shares looking forward to the antique machines

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous vacation. Love seeing Notre Dame in the background. That flea market sounds amazing! Would love to rummage through some of those goodies. Thanks for sharing! Knit on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing shop, I wouldn't know where to start!
    Paris is certainly a great city,we had a couple of days there on our whistle stop coach tour some years ago. Not nearly long enough, just a taste of gay paree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jenny! I'm sure I saw only a fraction of what was in the little shops, and really only a little bit of Paris. I have to hope a little Paris goes a long way.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My name is Sandra James and I base in USA...“My life is back!!! After 14 years of Broken marriage, my husband left me and our two twins. I felt like my life was about to end i almost committed suicide, i was emotionally down for a very long time. Thanks to a spell caster called Dr Ehi which i met online. On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet, I was searching for a good spell caster that can solve my problems. I came across allot of testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer,and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. i also come across one particular testimony, it was about a woman called Sonia, she testified about how Dr Ehi brought back her Ex lover in less than 7 days and reverse the effect of their little boys cancer, and at the end of her testimony she dropped Dr Ehi 's e-mail address. After reading all these, I decided to give Dr Ehi a try. I contacted him via email and explained my problem to him. In just 3 days, my husband came back to me. We solved our issues, and we are even happier than before. Dr Ehi is really a gifted man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man... If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster to solve all your problems for you. Try Dr Ehi anytime, he might be the answer to your problems. Here's his contact {shomorikaspelltemple@yahoo.com} or {shomorikasolutiontemple@hotmail.com} by phone :+2349035080936 Thank you Dr Ehi.    

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!