Saturday, August 31, 2019

Roar!

We're roaring around here today...
and stomping, too!
My Little Buddy's dinosaur quilt is finished!  Some of his favorite friends are helping me.
They're pretty excited, and I am, too.  I can't wait to show Little Buddy the quilt when he comes here on Tuesday.
Here's the whole thing, without the dinosaur friends.  All of the smaller squares were charm squares, either the official kind from the quilt store, or cut by me from my scraps.
Here's the panel I started with back in June.  It took a little bit of math to figure out the layout so everything would fit.  Math makes my head hurt, but I persisted.
I framed up the center to a size that would work with the charm squares.  Those dark blue squares in the corners were cut from a yard of fabric that was meant to go with the panel.  I was really glad I bought it.
The last border is really wide, because I wanted to put the smaller squares from the panel in the corners.
I did the quilting on my domestic machine, quilt as you go style.  It might be easier to see what I mean by looking at the back.
The center section is what I quilted first, just as though it was a small quilt.  Then I added the large outer pieces of backing to the center.  I spray basted large strips of batting to the backing.  Then I added the borders to the top, one border at a time, spray basting the batting as I went.  I would add a border, quilt it, then add the next, and quilt it, and so on.
All of the quilting is very simple stuff.  I did use Golden Threads paper to mark the wavy lines.
It was a relatively easy way to quilt a medallion style quilt.  Best of all, no hand sewing!

So that's one off the To Do list.
Here's something I'm sewing as a leader and ender project.  Does anybody know the name of this pattern?
Here's one block, made with rectangles and squares 2.5 in. wide (cut).
And here's what they can do when you put 4 blocks together!
I just love patterns like this.
I picked up this kit at our last quilt meeting.  Our wonderful charity group had cut all the pieces from donated scraps.  When I finish the piecing, a volunteer will quilt it on a long arm machine, and we'll donate it locally to a good cause.
I would love to know the name of the pattern and the designer if possible.

Thanks for reading this long post.  I'm hoping you have something great to roar about this week.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy (Keep her in your thoughts--the hurricane is coming her way!)
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Alycia at Alycia Quilts
Cynthia at Oh Scrap 














12 comments:

  1. Your Little Buddy's dinosaur quilt is adorable, and I love the helpers! I find quilty math a bit challenging at times,too, but looks like you did great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Once I got the first round right, the rest worked out okay.

      Delete
  2. Little Buddys quilt is awesome!! Dinosaurs are so great and sure to make him smile!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! My Little Buddy really is into dinosaurs. He even roars on the playground.

      Delete
  3. The dinosaur quilt is fantastic--what a great setting for that panel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! I hope he likes it. It might not be scary enough!

      Delete
  4. "Roar!" turned out so, so cute! You did really well figuring out the math so all the panel pieces fit perfectly. He's going to LOVE it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I can't wait to show it to him on Tuesday.

      Delete
  5. The Dino quilt is wonderful. Little Buddy is sure to love it! Can't help you with the name of that quilt lock but I see a lot of potential using it1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie! Maybe somebody at the quilt group knows the name of the block.

      Delete
  6. Your dinosaur quilt rocks! Yes, I like that scrap block, too! I’ve been looking for a new block to help me reduce my scrap bag. This one just might do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, KaHolly! Good luck reducing your scraps! Mine just seem to multiply, no matter what I do.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!