Saturday, December 14, 2019

Zigs and Zags: Rainbow Quilts

It's dismal outside this morning, gray and overcast and cold, but inside it's so bright you might need shades.  I finally got my second zigzag top together.
Previously on Treadlestitches, I showed my first zigzag top (on the left above).  Why are there two quilts?  Because I forgot to do the math!
The zigzags are part of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts for 2019.  Each month, I made two rows.  If I had been thinking ahead a little more (and thinking a little less about how much fun it was using these fabrics) I might have realized sooner what a long and narrow quilt that would be.  Oops!  So two quilts it is.
I only made one pink row, which I used in today's quilt, Zigzag #2.  These quilts will probably be donated, and often boys don't want quilts with pink in them.   I didn't make any brown or black rows, since they wouldn't really go with what I've already got.  Zigzag #2 has nine rows, and they're not in any particular color order, just what I thought looked pretty.
Zigzag #1 has 8 rows, and a 2 in. finished sashing between each row, and is in Roy G Biv color order.
Now I just need to quilt them.
In other news, this!  It's a birthday present.  My quilt group had a fun program this year.  All of us who participated brought 2.5 in. strips for the other participants during their birthday month.  People requested colors, styles, etc.  My request was for brights.  (Can you tell?)
I could hardly wait to get home from our meeting to lay these out.  Wow!
Check out these wonderful prints and solids!
Plus, some kind person put two fat quarters in my bag!  How did they know I'm low on yellow and orange?
Now I have to decide what to do with this amazing loot.   Good thing I have all these great books.

I think this calls for curling up with a quilt, a cup of tea, and this stack of inspiration.
But before I do that, I'm going to check out the linky parties.
Come with me!  It'll be fun!
Thanks for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at Soscrappy
Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday
Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
Cynthia at Oh Scrap












21 comments:

  1. I'm glad you didn't do the math right because now I can drool over TWO wonderfully happy quilt tops. It's an easy one to do as a RSC; not too many pieces, straight sewing, yep, I think I would like that for next year. How big did you do your HSTs? Congrats on getting them to the flimsy stage. Wonderful loot you got for your birthday! Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal! The hsts finish at 4 in. I put 4 of them together to make 8 in. blocks, and then made 8 blocks per row, for 64 in. wide. Zigzag #1 is 64 in. x 78 in. and Zigzag #2 is 64 in. x 72 in. Ooh, after all that math, I'd better lie down!

      Delete
  2. I just love your chevron quilts and definitely going to make HST blocks in next year RSC, so quick and easy, but such a great impact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! I'm actually thinking they won't be too hard to quilt, either. When the holidays are over ...

      Delete
  3. I love your zigzag quilts, Sylvia! They are so much fun to look at! What size HSTs did you make for the rows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! The individual hsts finish at 4 in. I made blocks with 4 of the hsts each (so 8 in. fin blocks), and each row has 8 blocks. So each row is 8 in. tall and 64 in. wide.

      Delete
  4. Lovely zig zag quilts--what a great birthday present...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, Sylvia!! What a fun gift from your quilting friends! I might have laughed when I saw that you ended up with TWO quilt tops (not exactly on purpose) from your RSC efforts. I'm sorry, but I just MIGHT have done something EXACTLY like that in years past. Chalk it up to double the pleasure! :o))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joyful! I laughed at myself over this. I can't believe it took me a couple months to realize what I was doing! But you're right, it's double the pleasure, double the fun!

      Delete
  6. Your ziggy zaggy tops are just so cheerful, Sylvia! I love that you did one ROYGBIV and the other random order. I can never decide between the two so doing both is ideal. And happy birthday to you, too! Love all those bright strips :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I have loved reading about your quilts for Wrap-A-Smile. You have inspired my first New Year's Resolution--make a quilt (or two!) for Wrap A Smile this year.

      Delete
  7. What a fun birthday swap! I bookmarked your zigzag design as I'm considering what to choose for RSC 2020. And now you've made two of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nann! Good luck with your zigzags! They are really fun to do.

      Delete
  8. I love love love your rainbow quilt top. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I got to use all my favorite fun novelty prints. The RSC this year has been a blast.

      Delete
  9. Math Scmath ha ha!! Two quilts are way better than one!! and they will be loved - they are so colorful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! I'd rather do twice as much sewing than figure out the math! Maybe I'll do better in 2020.

      Delete
  10. Enjoyed watching your Zig Zag quilts emerge all year. They turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those zigzags are gorgeous. Love love love them

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!