Friday, December 6, 2019

Christmas Oklahoma Star

We interrupt our regularly scheduled quilting for this special report--Christmas is coming!  In honor of the season, I turned one of my oldest UFOs into an FO--finished object.
The pattern is Oklahoma Star, from the book A Dozen Variables, by Marsha McCloskey.   It was published way back in 1987.
(Note:  If you've never read Marsha McCloskey's books, you might want to give them a try.  Her directions are always clear, and she does a lot with scraps.)
I'm pretty sure I made this top in the early 90s.  I had the center done, and just never put a border on.  It was one of those things I was going to do when I got around to it.  (Anybody else got stuff like that?)  In the meantime, I used the top as a Christmas tablecloth a time or two, just for decoration.

Last year at Christmastime, I sewed on a light print border, and discovered how much the top had stretched!  The edges are all bias, and somehow it never occurred to me that stretch happens, especially when you use the top for a tablecloth!  The light border went up and down like a wave on the ocean.  It was discouraging, and the top went back in the bin.
This year, enough was enough.  Time to get it done.  I took off the light border, and added a red one. 
The edges were still stretched, and I had to deal with it severely, but at least it lays mostly flat.  It measures 53 in. x 76 in.
The back is a holly print, which I cobbled together out of leftover yardage.
I quilted a 2 in. grid in the center, and diagonal lines in the borders.
There are fads and trends in quilt fabric, as I'm sure you know.  This even holds true with Christmas fabric.  Back in the day, Christmas green prints were dark.  Today's are lighter.  I wasn't sure I'd be able to get a near-matching dark green for the binding from modern Christmas fabric.  So I used a scrap of forest green probably from the 90s that was in my stash.  It's not a Christmas print, but it will do.  (Plus it used up a scrap, and didn't cost anything extra!)
Bella and Little Buddy were kind enough to pose for me.

Here's a detail of the top, before it was quilted.

I wish I could say this was my only UFO from more than 25 years ago!

In other news, vinegar.
My homemade vinegar is smelling great, and in bottles.  The color is lighter this year because I used just apple cores and no apple peels to make it.  Click HERE if you'd like to read last year's post about how it's done.
We got the holiday decorating done this week, with Little Buddy's enthusiastic help.
Yesterday we put up the tree.  Above you can see an ornament I bought at the Patched Works quilt shop soon after we moved here 28 years ago.  The owner then was Trudy Hughes.  I still have all her books, and refer to them now and again.  The design on the ornament is her "around the twist" pattern.  I used it to make my son's Christmas quilt (back in the late 80s), seen below on Little Buddy's nap bed.

I've never had one of those neatly organized Christmas trees you see in magazines or on TV, the ones where all the ornaments are the same, silver balls or red ribbons, etc.  We have a really messy looking tree, covered with homemade ornaments and things we've gathered up over 43 years of marriage.
The ornaments with the photographs are my favorite ones.  Many of them were made in school or preschool by our children or grandchildren, and all of them bring back fond memories.

This week, I'm wishing you fond memories of times past, and good new memories to make.
Thanks for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Angela at So Scrappy 
Cynthia at Oh Scrap




















25 comments:

  1. Congratulations a fantastic finish of a very old ufo, what a great feeling to accomplish that! I love a tree full of homemade and hand made decorations that don't necessarily match, it speaks of a well loved life and many loved ones. A interior designed tree just speaks of dollars spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! Our tree may not be elegant, but each ornament has a memory attached.

      Delete
  2. Isn't wonderful to get a "mature" UFO done and completed? It's a lovely quilt that's enhanced by your "quilt models" showing it off! I'm a fan of Marsha's Feathered Star books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Vivian, I absolutely love the term "mature UFO"! You made me laugh. Back in the day, I took a feathered star class from Marsha McCloskey. The class was great, even though she made us learn to draft the blocks. Her featherweight was the first one I ever saw in action.

      Delete
  3. Your Christmas Oklahoma Star is fabulous! So glad you got 'er done! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot see the fabric close up to see if it is dated. It looks great from my view, the background fabrics give a spark/life to the quilt. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a super finish, Sylvia! It aged well in storage, waiting for just the right year, um decade, um...century? Ha ha! While the details of the fabric may reveal their age, those saturated reds and greens are classic Christmas. Good job taming the stretched bias edges, too. I'll bet that wasn't very fun. Maybe you needed to gain wisdom and patience before you could tackle this project :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! Century is right! I still have UFOs from before the turn of the century--aak! I would love to think I have gained wisdom and patience over the years, but I'm afraid I can't claim that unless I want my family to collapse on the floor with laughter!

      Delete
  6. Your Oklahoma Star is just beautiful, Sylvia! I think you did a great job finishing it, in spite of the stretchy edges. What fun to have a Little Buddy to help with the decorating, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! The border really doesn't stand up to close scrutiny, but I don't think the family will notice or care. Little Buddy was a great help trimming the tree. We don't mind if most of the ornaments are on the bottom branches.

      Delete
  7. I’m impressed not only at your patience and perseverance with the O.S. Christmas quilt, but how well you tamed those bias edges. It turned out beautifully. I think Christmas colors, like colors in general, cycle in and out of popularity. To those of us of a certain age, the darker, more saturated reds and greens speak of classic Christmas colors. And they will again ... and again. Congratulations on creating an heirloom - and you couldn’t have picked two cuter models!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! There is a lot to be said for classic color combinations. Hey, I'm not dated, I'm classic!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on taming the bias edges of that old UFO. It made a wonderful addition to your Holiday decor!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I always think, the best decorations are quilts!

      Delete
  9. Yes, congratulations on your amazing finish. I'm still contemplating doing the binding on my very first quilt from 1994!!! I love your tree too, I'm in your camp. I love the old decorations that have such wonderful memories. Ours always looks like a hurricane has just passed through our lounge, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clare! I had to smile at your description. Hurricane for real! Life with a 3 year old often feels just like that.

      Delete
  10. A huge congratulations to you for your lovely finish. You persevered! Thanks for sharing all your Christmas decorations with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cynthia, and thanks for the kind words. And for Oh Scrap every week!

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on an FO! Now that one quits nagging and the others set up a chorus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, QuiltGranma! The nagging is so loud I can hear it down the hall!

      Delete
  12. Oh it looks so great! And yep - I hadn't even thought about the stretching on a top! Thats good to think about. Love your posers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your photo models. Adorable. Fabulous finish. Love the older fabrics and love a tree decorated with meaningful ornaments.many years ago when pacman was the thing, my kids and I made tons of yellow pacman salt dough ornaments for our tree.it has memories.unfortunately I have no pictures except those in my head but it was fun and unique.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!