Saturday, March 14, 2020

A Very Happy Chaos

Here's why I didn't blog last week!  Isn't he a peach?  My youngest grandson was born on March 5th, and I took care of his brothers (and the dog and cat) until he and Mom and Dad came home from the hospital.  Our whole family is blessed beyond measure.

As far as quilting, nothing is finished.  After catching up around here and getting some routine doctor appointments out of the way, I'm working on several projects at once.

I did get my Text Me A Quilt blocks done for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  The color for the month is turquoise, which I don't have a lot of, but I managed to scrape these together.  Here's my next idea on how to set them.
My blocks are made with my usual novelty fabrics, and I noticed something I probably should have seen before.  Novelty fabrics often look weird cut in small pieces.
The light cats here are okay, but what about those waving cat hands?
It gets weirder.  Poor little Daniel Tiger is cut in pieces.
Believe it or not, this print has a sheep riding a bicycle.  Who could tell?

These cute little frogs are sadly sliced up.


A couple of these squares are okay, you can tell it's Sponge Bob, but you have to guess what the words were supposed to say.  (Can you guess?)

This is the worst one.  These poor swimming ladies are headless!

If I had bigger pieces of these scraps, maybe I could have fussy cut the squares so they'd come out better.  Or maybe I should just not worry about it.  It could be fun for kids to look through these silly fabrics.

In other news, this.


I'm putting the borders on this donation quilt top.  It was a kit cut by a member of our marvelous charity committee, and all the fabrics were donated (we get the most amazing donated fabric!). I got the piecing done a couple of weeks ago, but have been procrastinating on the borders.  It's so big I can't really lay it out here, I'll have to move it to another room.

I might actually get more quilting, sorting and cleaning done in the next few weeks, because I'm on "maternity leave"!  Actually, my daughter is on maternity leave from her job while she looks after her new baby, but that means my Little Buddy is home instead of here.  We "borrowed" him yesterday, partly to give his mom a break but mostly because we missed him.
Here are my little ones together, Baby Buddy and Little Buddy.
Life is very, very good.

As for the virus, let's all be safe.  Keep Calm and Wash Your Hands is my new motto.
Have a lovely week, and thanks for reading.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy (Home of the Rainbow Scrap Quilt Challenge)
Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict










24 comments:

  1. congrats on the new grandson- aren't they just the best thing ever?! love your I Spy blocks. yes, you could fussy cut the fabrics, but that always ends up wasting so much...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! And I hate wasting fabric! Even though I have so much it threatens to cover us up.

      Delete
  2. Congrats!!! What fun to have a new baby in the house. The brothers look like they love him so much already.

    Wow on the donated fabrics for the charity quilt. The colors go so great together. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy S.! I can't take any credit for the charity quilt colors, they were chosen by the talented lady who cut the kit, but I really love them.

      Delete
  3. Adorable baby! Your blocks are very cute, and the kids won't mind the chopped up parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! I'm sure you're right, the kids won't mind. I need to stop obsessing about this stuff.

      Delete
  4. Your newest grandson has such a sweet little face, Sylvia! Congratulations to you and your whole family! I think your blocks look great, and somebody is going to have fun looking at all those bits and pieces of their favorite characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I hope nobody will be weirded out by the headless swimming ladies.

      Delete
  5. Congrats, Sylvia!! I think I might steal your new motto. I've been feeling (more than) a little anxious lately. Posting your "Keep Calm and Wash Your Hands" might help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I saw the "Keep Calm and Wash Your Hands" motto on a sign in an antique store restroom on Thursday. It was white letters on red, just like the British signs from WWII, and obviously predated the current troubles. We can get through this! With lots of calm hand washing.

      Delete
  6. Aw, so sweet! Welcome, Baby Buddy! I know what you mean about novelty fabrics cutting up strangely. But you're right, a little person is going to enjoy seeing all the bits and pieces of the designs and using their imagination to fill in the swimmer's heads :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! You're right, kids do have great imaginations. I get a little carried away sometimes.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the new baby!! how sweet!! Love all the fun fabrics in your teal blocks!!Your donation quilt looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! I loved the story about your husband's unmentionables. Whenever I was away from home for a few days, if my husband ran out of undies he just went out and bought more. He said it was less trouble than doing laundry. (@#$%!!!)

      Delete
  8. Baby Buddy is a sweet peach indeed! My grandkids are getting older and I miss the babies to spoil and cuddle.

    Cut up novelties look just fine from here. They look like lots of fun too. My grandkids would have had a laugh at finding swimmer butts and would have looked around to see how many more they could find. They are not sweet peaches, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my gosh, I love your grandkids! You really made me laugh out loud!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations! what joy you must have in all those grandchildren. Isn't aqua a gorgeous color. I am enjoying your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kat! I am the luckiest person on earth. Really.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations Sylvia! What a cutie! I love your blocks just as they are. Thanks for sharing them with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet babyface! Every blessing on this sweet baby boy and to your whole family

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!