Saturday, March 21, 2020

Keep Calm and Keep Sewing!

Good morning! Here's one of the things cheering me up this week.  My orchid is coming to life again, and I bought the orange Gerbera daisy at the grocery store the last time I went.  Outside it's a typical Wisconsin spring, alternating between rainy and cold, but inside flowers are blooming.
Quilts are happening inside, too!  My dog Bella is helping me show a quilt I finished this morning.  Pam, a very talented quilter in our guild designed this as a Block of the Month, starting last February.
The blocks were based on the Friendship Star pattern.  It was like working a puzzle, putting all these blocks of different sizes together, but Pam had good directions.  She urged us to use our creativity, and I took her up on it!  All the little Friendship Star blocks are my additions.
Pam added sewing machines cut from a panel to her quilt, and I liked that so much I added one, too.  It's a hand crank, of course, a people-powered machine, although I pieced the blocks on my treadle instead of one of my hand cranks.
The fabrics in this quilt are a mix of feed sacks, vintage fabrics that are not feed sacks, and 1930s reproduction fabrics.  It was fun deciding which fabrics to use each month, although I always made a giant mess dragging out scraps and auditioning them.
I'll show you the back of the quilt next week.  There's a story there.
I made this with the scraps!  It's a bread cloth.  I bake a lot of bread, rolls, etc. even when we're not in the middle of a pandemic.  Usually I cover the rising dough with a dish towel, but I've always thought it would be nice to have a special cloth for this.  Now I do!  (By the way, in this photo the cloth is covering pizza dough for last night's supper.  The plant is basil, which smells like heaven every time I brush against it.)
The back is a flour sack from "Mother's Best" flour.
They call it "The flour with a flavor".  Wonder what the flavor was?  This bag once held 49 pounds of flour.  Because the U.S. government standardized flour quantities during World War II, we know this bag was produced before that.
Continuing with the 1930s fabrics, this month's house blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge are done.  It was hard coming up with teal/turquoise/aqua fabrics that would play well together in the blocks.
I like all 3 of them, but this one is my hands-down favorite.

Now that all these projects are done, I can spend the rest of the weekend making face masks as requested by hospitals.  Goodness knows, I've got plenty of fabric to use.

I hope all of you are well, and coping with the changes we have had to make.  We are not the first generation to deal with terrible realities, and sadly we won't be the last.  We can get through this better if we work together.

However, I have nothing good to say about toilet paper hoarders.


Be safe, be strong, be well.
And happy International Quilting Day!
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday
Angela at So Scrappy
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict 
Cynthia at Oh Scrap












28 comments:

  1. I love your houses--I think you did really well with those colors....
    Stay safe now, Hugs, Julierose ;)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me laugh with your final comment about TP hoarders. I enjoy your blog, and I'm a very recent follower. I, too, love your houses. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Juliana, you are very kind. These house blocks are so much fun.

      Delete
  3. I can see why the colors of the 30s were cheering people up - they still have that effect. Lovely quilt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie! We could all use some cheering up right now. I hope your husband is doing better.

      Delete
  4. Your Friendship Star quilt is lovely, Sylvia - so cheery! Great idea to make that bread cloth, too. I think the more patchwork around the house, the better! Your houses are wonderful - I agree that third one is special. We are doing fine here - you stay well, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I love your little house quilt, with the cat inside! Hanging it on your frig is genius.

      Delete
  5. Friendship star is such a nice pattern. So fun to have so many variations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a block of the month, it really kept us guessing "what's next?" Pam had so many great block ideas.

      Delete
  6. I love the Friendship Star quilt. What a great design and fun with a guild member. Your fabric choices are gorgeous. I like the sewing machine patch and the back is special. Stay safe. I'm starting to look at what states each blog poster is located as I now have time to read blogs more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! I always wished I had more time to sew, but not like this!

      Delete
  7. Your Friendship Star quilt is wonderful. I like the way the different size blocks fit together. The polka dot house is fun I have been pulling together some house block patterns to play with, but yours is especially nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, KatieQ! I cannot get enough polka dots, new or vintage. It's kind of an obsession.

      Delete
  8. Lovely quilts....30s fabrics and feedsacks are a great reminder of resilience in hard times...a strength that is in our dna. Everyone stay well and stitch on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo! In hard times I always think about my grandmother, who was a young mother during the Depression and World War II. When things went wrong, she just calmly went about fixing them or figuring out another way.

      Delete
  9. Your new friendship star quilt is so lovely! It has that super cozy vibe that comes from the feedsacks, I think. When I first glanced at the page, I thought Bella was a meerkat, ha ha! She's cute. I love dogs and wish we could have one, but they make boating life extra complicated. So we'll wait until the boating phase of life is over :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I'm chuckling, thinking of Bella as a meerkat. She's looking very alert in the photo, because she knows there's a treat coming. Using the feed sacks has been so much fun. I think there may be a new project coming along for them. Squirrel warning!

      Delete
  10. Friendship stars are always a good choice - such a lively block with so many variations!
    Hang in there and stay well! And I'm with you on those TP hoarders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gayle! I've loved the Friendship star blocks, and it's a great theme for a quilt group. Friendship is very important to us all.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful quilt finish. It's amazing to me that there are so many variations on the Friendship Star block. Do I count as a hoarder for having two packages of 8 double or triple rolls of TP? Originally I was going to have 3 friends over for several days so I didn't want to run out. That got canceled and now we don't have as much left anyway. Probably next week we'll try to get another package. I'm wondering if newsprint is a reasonable alternative??? Sorry, giggling over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! Two packages is NOT hoarding. Two pick up trucks full IS! If worst comes to worst, we can do what they did in the old days. Rags will work until we can get corn cobs. (Did I just type that? Oh, dear, I hope it never gets that bad!)

      Delete
  12. I'm a little behind on my blog reading....it was only last night that I discovered the face mask request. Sounds like a fabulous idea to me! Being as we still have to face crowded stores to hopefully find toilet paper...I don't have any kind words for toilet paper hoarders either....or bottled water....our local Costco yesterday CLEARLY had a sign near the water saying Limit 1....yet a lot of people took FIVE! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the face masks! I cut out 10 and hope to finish them today. I'm not sure if hospitals will want them, but it's better than nothing for the rest of us when we have to go out. Hoarders must never have learned about sharing, shame on them.

      Delete
  13. Your Friendship Stars quilt is very pretty and perfect for the current times. You really cracked me up with your TP hoarders remark! Did you know there's an app to see how many days worth of TP you have in your house? I saw it on TV the other day & thry said the svg household today has 500+ days of TP in their house! We certainly lowered the curve here! Lol! Hsve a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie H.! Five hundred days? More than a year? Some people must have entirely filled their garage! This is insanity.

      Delete
  14. I am loving your quilt - and your dog makes the best Quilt holder ;-) ha ha! Great idea to have a special cloth of your dough - and it is so colorful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! Bella always wants to get on the quilts anyway, so she might as well pose while she's there. The bread cloth is getting a lot of use this week. It looks so much more cheerful than a stained dish towel.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!