Saturday, September 12, 2020

Ironing Out the Wrinkles

 Good morning, and welcome to Treadlestitches!

It's another rainy day here, but I'm starting today with a mug of tea and the cheerful color of the month.  September is for red scraps, brought to you by Angela at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  (See link below.)

I only got two of my RSC blocks done this week.  These are the vintage nine patches I'm removing from an unfinished top and "remodeling" into double nine patches.

I really love how this unknown quilter used every shade of red and every sort of red print.  It's the variety in scrap quilts that makes my heart go pitter patter.

I love all things vintage, including this used 1960s iron I bought at Goodwill a few years ago.  So imagine my panic when it began to have problems heating.  Without an iron there is no pressing wrinkled scraps for cutting, no pressing blocks or borders or backing--in short, no piecing!  What was I going to do? 
Bad luck with irons has followed me around, so I knew what I didn't want.  Twice, before I got the good old G.E. iron, I bought new ones, and was VERY disappointed.  The expensive one quit after about a year.  The cheap one quit right away (saving me time, I guess).  Both of these irons had automatic shut off, which I absolutely hate.  Manufacturers had apparently not thought of that particular torture for quilters when my vintage iron was made, and I had gotten used to having a hot iron whenever I needed it. 
Meet my new iron, the Knapp Monarch Dry Iron.  I ordered it from the Vermont Country Store, and it came right away.  (I know this seems like a commercial, but I am not affiliated with any suppliers.) It's a dry iron, meaning it doesn't use steam.  Since I don't use steam either, it's like a dream come true.  (It's probably my own fault, but I tend to distort quilt blocks when I use a steam iron.)

Check out the sole plate--no holes!  This kind of iron would have come in handy when I was transferring children's crayon drawings to fabric.  The old irons left little round steam holes in the design.
As with everything, there are pluses and minuses.
Here's what I like about the iron:
1.  Heats well.
2.  Heats quickly.
3.  No automatic shut off (!!!!).
4.  Not too light weight, not too heavy.
5.  No steam holes (in case I want to do fusible web, etc.)
 
And here are some minor issues.
1.  Makes a loud clicking sound when it gets to the heat you've selected.
2.  Hums every so often as it heats up.
3.  To turn it off, you have to unplug it (no off switch). 
The first two issues can be "solved" by turning up the music.  The last one is more of an inconvenience.

I hope I have this iron problem solved now, but I won't know for a while if the Knapp Monarch is reliable in the long term.  I do like that it does one simple job, and does it well.  Like a treadle!

Once I had the new iron, I had some catch-up work to do on this project.  This is my Diary Quilt, which I started back in January.  I picked quite the year to do this, didn't I?

Each of these big squares represents a month, and each strip is one day.  There are half strips at the end, to get all of the days in.  I didn't take the post it notes off before taking the pictures because I'm afraid I'll get them mixed up. 

I was so far behind!  At the end of April, I just kind of ran out of steam.  So the last two weekends I've been sorting through strips and making the blocks for May, June, July, and August.  The little block above is for last week.  The school bus marks the beginning of the school year for Big Buddy and Little Buddy, and the strip with hearts is for the family party we had on Labor Day weekend, our first since Christmas and just our kids and their spouses and kids. 

Little Buddy is in preschool every day now, so we see him less, but we're making the most of it.  Baby Buddy is starting to eat solid food, not just his toys.

Now that I'm caught up on the Diary quilt, I can enjoy making more red blocks for the RSC.
The Rainbow Scrap Challenge has been so good for me.  It has helped me to see color everywhere, and not to just get stuck on the same old thing.
This week may we find relief from stress and anxiety, and joy in the little things around us.  Stay safe!
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches 

Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap

 

 

 





 

29 comments:

  1. A bit of RED for the RSC, a new iron, and SCRAPS!!! Sounds like a recipe for the perfect week... once you add Baby Buddy to the mix. :o))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your diary quilt - it's looking so happy in spite of this crazy year. Glad to know about your new iron, too. I have one that looks like your vintage one that just died, and I like it a lot, except for the steam holes on the bottom! I don't put water in my iron either, so don't need the steam holes, and they sometimes catch the corners of blocks and scrunch them up. How lovely to have a picnic with your family! Have a wonderful week, Sylvia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Oh, right, I forgot about the iron catching the block corners, that is so annoying. Maybe another plus for the new iron. You have a wonderful week, too!

      Delete
  3. the diary quilt sounds interesting - I am sure I wouldn't keep up very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, maggie! I should have known I would fall behind, I always do when it comes to regular diaries or journals. I hope I can keep up to finish out the year.

      Delete
  4. I love your diary quilt! When I was making my temperature quilt I used a sharpie to write the month on the seam allowance in the back. I knew that I was likely to lose any paper markers I used!
    My iron philosophy is the same as yours! No steam, no auto-shut-off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gayle! Great idea, writing in the seam allowance! I'll have to try that, it will save me getting stuck by pins.

      Delete
  5. Your diary quilt is wonderful! Glad you got caught up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your diary quilt is a fun idea. It would be fun to dig through the scrap bins to find the best fabric for each day. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that smoooooooth iron! I'm also not a steam user, so that really appeals to me. And "remodeling" blocks from an old top is very appealing. You're right that the scrappiness of those 9 patches is divine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! Seems like there are lots of us who don't use steam. Who knew?

      Delete
  8. I think lots of people have iron troubles. I know I have had them. I love the one I have now and wasn't super expensive, it steams and has lasted longer than some more expensive ones. Perhaps it is because we have them on so long(at least I do). Glad you found one that you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Vicki! I think you're right, quilters are tough on irons. I'm liking the new one so far, but we'll see.

      Delete
  9. Irons seem like such a straight forward piece of equipment, but they cause me more problems than any other appliance I own. Your new one looks good. I look forward to you updating us on how reliable it is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. About 15 years ago I was going around on a Friday looking for yard sales. At one I found an old iron with no holes, but it does have a temperature and on/off switch. I was ready to buy it but she gave it to me free! I love it. I have it plugged into a power surge cord, I understand they have such things that are just at the outlet too. That is what I recommend for you, to save the outlet. I love mine, and am very happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A surge protector is a very good idea! I'm glad you got a good iron, and for such a good price!

      Delete
  11. I like that idea of a diary quilt! What fun - and memories to look back on in the years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Diary quilt is really neat. Great fabrics to represent the days going by. I had an iron from the Vermont Country Store. It did have an on/off switch. I LOVED it because it didn't turn off AND there were no holes in the plate. I had it for a long time and it finally crapped out. I hope you have a long and fulfilling relationship with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie H! It's working well--but it's only been about 2 weeks now.

      Delete
  13. Enjoy your iron. I have had the same iron from the same place for the last two years. Works wonderfully! I just have to learn to unplug it when I leave the room. It is a good easy habit now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Berkshire Tatter(interesting name!). I'm getting into the habit of unplugging, it's really no problem.

      Delete
  14. That iron sounds like a dream. I love simple!! For the diary quilt, do you (theoretically) pick out a strip each day? And do you always try to represent something from the day, or just special days with random on other days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, JanineMarie! Yes, I try to pick out a strip for each day. If it's just a normal day with the kids, I pull out a novelty fabric like one with dinosaurs or cars and trucks, or library books. Sundays are always a happy yellow, because that's when I talk to my mom on the phone. Saturdays are mostly sewing fabrics.

      Delete
  15. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What’s app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Facebook page Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!