Saturday, September 5, 2020

A Tale of Two Loves

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

When I say two loves, I'm talking about quilts, of course.  (My life may be crazy, but it's not a soap opera.)  I have two desperate all-consuming loves in my quilting life--antique quilts/reproductions and modern/bright colors.  I can't choose one or the other.  Thankfully, I don't have to.


It might seem weird, but I work on both kinds of quilts at once.  So this week I have a finished quilt and a top to show you.  The top celebrates the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month, red.
 In 2018, quilt historian and pattern researcher Barbara Brackman hosted a block of the month on her Civil War Quilts blog.  (Click HERE for the first post.  All the patterns are still online, for free.)  It was called Antebellum Album, and celebrated the friendships among Northern and Southern women and girls before the Civil War.

Each month Ms. Brackman wrote an interesting post about a real person, and provided us with a pattern for a 12 in. block.  The blocks had suggestions for inked inscriptions.
I am TERRIBLE at inked inscriptions, but I tried.  The one above says May the Circle Be Unbroken.
When I got the blocks done, I had to figure out how to set them.  Ms. Brackman's suggested set made a square quilt, but I wanted mine to be rectangular.  Eventually, I made 3 more blocks, and alternated them with the suggested pieced blocks.  
There were a couple of blocks I had trouble with, so I just substituted a different one.  (It's perfectly legal to do that, BTW).  I chose traditional red and green for my color scheme, but many of the other quilters used more modern fabrics, and they were great.
This is another one I'm going to have quilted by someone much more talented than me.
 

And on the other hand, I finished the little Pennants baby quilt.  I'm calling it Pennants, but I didn't have a pattern for it.
Here's the basic recipe if you'd like to make one.
First, get some 4.5 in. strips of colorful fabrics, and a few light strips in the same size.  Everything in this quilt is cut from 4.5 in. strips.

Next, get a triangle ruler that will help you cut 60 degree triangles.  I made 8 rows of triangles, alternating bright and light.  You need 5 light triangles and 4 bright triangles per row, plus 2 bright half triangles.  I mostly just used full triangles for the half triangles, and squared them off after they were sewn.
I added 4.5 in strips of light as the first border, cut from a print I've had for a while.


Isn't this fabric cute?  I got some pieces of it second hand.

This is the selvedge:  Tiny Town by Max & Nobie for Moda.

The outer border is made of forty 4.5 in. squares (4 in. finished).  Snoopy surfing is my favorite.
Here's the back, a Windham fabric, Colors and Count (I think), and the binding is orange.  I am really crushing on orange right now. 


Look who turns 6 months old today!  It's our Baby Buddy!
 
This week has been one of the crazier ones lately.  The kids get here earlier, since Big Buddy has to log into his virtual school before 7:30 every other day and Baby Buddy has to get dropped off before their Mama takes Little Buddy to preschool, where I pick him up at 11:00.  It is much harder for their Mama, getting 3 kids off to 2 or 3 destinations, all of them with whatever they need, plus getting herself off to work.  I'm sure we'll all get used to it, but it may take some time.
 
This is a weird year, and all we can really do is roll with it.  Sewing helps.  It really does.
 
Happy Labor Day weekend, Americans!  Stay safe.
 
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches 

Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap



21 comments:

  1. Love your Antebellum Album rendition. I think you did a great job with the ink too. Baby buddy is adorable. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal! I didn't show the worst inked squares (too embarrassed)!

      Delete
  2. Your red and green quilt is beautiful, and sounds like an interesting QAL to participate in, too. Love the baby pennant quilt! I haven't tried a 60 degree triangle quilt yet, but really should - I do have the ruler. This has got to be a crazy time for parents to navigate - I feel for them - how wonderful that your kids have such wonderful help from Grandma and Grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! The 60 degree triangles are easier to sew than they look (bonus!). I wish we could help both our daughters manage school/child care, but our oldest daughter lives an hour away.

      Delete
  3. Love both of your quilts. Thanks so much for taking time to share how you made the pennant quilt. That looks like it would be a fun one to try for something different. And the baby is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! Maybe someday I'll do a proper tutorial for the Pennants quilt.

      Delete
  4. RED with a touch of green... SEW lovely, Sylvia! Congrats on finishing up the bright and cheerful Pennant quilt, too. LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! Have fun with red this month, I know I will!

      Delete
  5. Both quilts are beautiful. You have your hands full with littles. Sewing really does help calm the nerves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! You are so right, there is nothing like a little sewing.

      Delete
  6. I'm like you - I love both repro and bright modern quilts! Lovely job on your Antebellum Album; red and green was a great color choice. Thanks for the baby pennant recipe - I'm definitely going to give it a try. Good luck with smoothing out the new school year routine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie! Good luck with the pennant quilt, I'd love to see your version. Nice to know I'm not the only one who loves modern and repro.

      Delete
  7. I have the same two loves! And I love both of your quilts. And that reminds me that I have the CW repro quilt Barbara Brackman did as a quilt along before Antebellum unfinished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! It is so much fun following along with Barbara Brackman. One of these days I'm going to quilt the Jane Austen quilt I started from Ms. Brackman's instructions.

      Delete
  8. Hi,
    Beautiful quilts...the baby quilt is really
    awesome, and a baby to show it off! Have
    a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!! I am glad you have two loves!! that civil war one is just gorgeous!!! and the pennant it too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Barbara Brackman has a lot of good sew-a-longs. I saw this one but opted out ... probably due to a full plate already. However I did do Hospital Sketches with her. I love that you used such a traditional color combo. Red & green quilts are forever. Pennants is also adorable and isn't it amazing how the Buddies are growing up so quickly. Wonder how much of these crazy times Big Buddy will remember and how he'll remember it. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your idea for Little Pennants! Thank you for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!