Saturday, November 27, 2021

Happy Blocks, Happy Quilts, Happy Holidays!

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Happy Blocks, made this year for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, are getting finished into Happy Quilts!  These 3 will be donated to Project Linus.

It's such a simple block, and so much fun to make, especially with novelty print squares in the middle.  Click HERE for a link to a really good tutorial on how to make them from maryquilts.com.

The blocks measure 8 in. finished, so 30 of them set 5 x 6 side by side makes a quilt 40 in. x 48 in.

The back of Quilt #1 is the rest of a bug print I've used on another baby quilt.  Quilts #1 and #3 are what I call anybody quilts, meaning they're not gender specific.

Happy Quilt #2 will probably be given to a girl because of all the pink in it.

Hope she likes cats.  And purple monkeys!

To make the backing big enough, I put a strip of charm squares down the middle.

Lastly, Quilt #3.

Alphabet print on the back.
 

So many fun prints here!  Race cars, dogs, tractors, trains, and of course dinosaurs.

Speaking of dinosaurs, don't look now, Pilgrim dolls, you're about to be the main course!  I found this photo on my camera this morning.  Little Buddy and his cousin Miss E. were having fun with it on Thanksgiving.  We had such a good visit with all the kids and grandkids this year.  That's what I'm most thankful for.

I also love having time to sew!  Every year, I spend Black Friday and the rest of Thanksgiving weekend in the sewing room, catching up on projects.  Yesterday I made the treadle wheels spin!  The project on the wall behind the treadle is called Two-Step, and was designed by Amanda Jean Nyberg, formerly of the crazy mom blog.  It comes from this book:  Scrap School:  12 All-New Designs From Amazing Quilters.

Scrap School: 12 All-New Designs from Amazing Quilters

Jo Kramer of the blog Jo's Country Junction posted about making this design, and got me interested.  I already had the book and most of the 2.5 in. squares ready to go.  I'm piecing mine in columns rather than rows.

I finally finished the blocks for my 2020 diary/calendar quilt!  Why on earth did I pick 2020 as the year to do this?  It was hard to keep up enthusiasm for it during the lockdowns, etc.  But there were good things that happened in 2020 too, like the birth of my Baby Buddy, so I pushed through and got the blocks done, about a year late.

The strips for the calendar quilt came from this little suitcase.  Why is it still just as full as it was before?  The mystery of scraps.

Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone, the holiday season has begun for real.  I'm wishing the joy of this time of year for all who celebrate.  Happy Holidays!  As for me, I'm thinking about another slice of pumpkin pie.

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Angela at SoScrappy, Home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge

Cynthia at Oh Scrap













16 comments:

  1. 3 great Happy Blocks quilts. They will be well loved I’m sure. Very bright and cheerful and so much to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! Working with bright fabrics cheers me up, even when the weather is cold and gloomy.

      Delete
  2. Lots of great scrappy projects. The Happy Block quilts will all be treasured by some little ones. I made one early this year, and it probably time to make another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Happy Block quilts are definitely happy, Sylvia! I love seeing the backings, too - yours are always so fun! I really like your start on the Two-Step quilt - I may need to look for that book. I'm so glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving with the family - we just got home from seeing our kids for a few days and it was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I'm so glad you got to visit with your family.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on completing those sweet Happy Block quilts, Sylvia! Hope you are having fun with that Two-Step quilt. It's one of the ones from the book that I'm hoping to make. Must remember to put it on my Christmas list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun pattern and a good book. Hope Santa brings you one!

      Delete
  5. I love your happy blocks quilts. Those are a great way to use those novelty fabric scraps. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I'm always happy to see Oh Scrap on Sunday, and catch up with what you and everyone else is making.

      Delete
  6. Your Happy Block quilts are so fun! I sure am hoping that the lockdowns are but a memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Terry! Can't wait to get my booster next week.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, QuiltGranma! She's over 100 years old, and still going strong.

      Delete
  8. Love that you got 3 quilts out of the RSC!!! And I'll be checking out 2-step in my copy of that book!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good book and a nice simple scrap quilt. There are a couple of others I'd like to try in there, too!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!