Saturday, December 3, 2022

Razzle Dazzle Done

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

We're excited today.  My first two Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts of 2022, the Razzle Dazzle quilts, are quilted and bound and even washed, ready to be donated. 

Here's this one minus the adorable grandson.  (Oops, I took this photo before I sewed the binding on!)

My Little Guy loved posing for these photos.  He's a good helper.

And here's the second one, this time toddler free.

The pattern came from the Quilters Newsletter, which was hands down the best quilting magazine ever.  It grew as the quilting hobby expanded, and was a wonderful resource.  Razzle Dazzle was in the November 1997 issue.  As you can see, I simplified it a LOT.  (For more details, see my first Razzle Dazzle post HERE.)

Both of the quilts were quilted simply, on my domestic (electric!) machine.  This one got diagonal and horizontal lines following the piecing.  I was using some leftover 100% cotton batting, and wanted to quilt closely to make sure the batting wouldn't shift when the quilt was used and washed.

You can see the quilting on the back, outlining each triangle.  The backing for both quilts came from yearly sales called Granny's Attic, put on by a local quilt group.  These larger prints make good backings.  This one seems to be a zoo, with areas for the different animals.

The second quilt had an 80/20 batting (80% cotton, 20% polyester), so I didn't need to quilt as closely.  This time I just quilted the diagonal lines.

 On the back, you can see diamond shapes rather than triangles.  This Madagascar print is lots of fun.  I once had a small scrap of it, and the design was completely lost when it was cut into strips.  Backing is the best place for it.  The child who receives it can enjoy these wacky animals.  I added the center strip to make it wide enough.  It's a leftover from my Positivity 2022 quilt.  And there was just enough left for the binding.

The binding on the first quilt is a blast from the past!  If you were quilting in the 1980s/1990s, you probably recognize it as a "pin dot".  Everybody had lots of pin dots, and we used them for everything.  This scrap was just the right color.

So that's two down, three to go!  How many weeks are left in the year??

 When I was piecing the other day, I needed a leader and ender project, and found these tumblers already cut from flannel.  It didn't take much time to get these together into this little top for Jack's Basket.  So now I have to find another leader and ender project!  This always happens.  It's worth it, chain piecing saves time and thread, and I end up with bonus quilt tops like this.  Not sure when I'll get around to quilting it, though.

When Little Guy and I were taking pictures of the quilts, Snicklefritz the kitten came to see what we were doing.  I tried to get some pictures of him with the quilts, but he was just a little black and white blur.  He settled down a little on Little Guy's lap.

Later he crashed out on a quilt on the couch.  Yeah, only been here 2 weeks and he's already learned the best places to sleep--laps and quilts.

There's lots to do today, especially putting up decorations and shopping.  I wish the joy of the season to all who celebrate, and the joy of quilting to everyone.

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap

Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict 









 






29 comments:

  1. Both your Razzle Dazzle quilts are great. What a dear little grandson and cat you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, the cuteness factor of this post is giving me a sugar overload! (Bring it on!) Both of your Razzle Dazzles are adorable - you have the best scraps!, I love their cheer and whimsy. And Snicklefritz and DGS are so cute together. Great post, Sylvia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! My little guy loves the kitten so much we have to remind him not to hug too hard!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic Razzle Dazzle quilts. It’s so fun to see Snicklefritz, loving laps and quilts! I can’t help but smile every time I see or say his name. My mom use that name a lot! As a nickname for me and my siblings and some pets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to call my little grandsons snicklefritz when they were being extra cheeky. Now it's just a cheeky little cat!!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on those fun and fabulous RSC quilt finishes, Sylvia!! And a bonus quilt top, too? Go, you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great photos of your quilts. I enjoyed how you enhance them with an adorable grandson and precious kitten. Yes, kittens seek out warmth and there is nothing better than a lap or quilt for that. Hence, my favorite quilting tool - the lint roller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gwyned! Yeah, I need a new lint roller for the sewing room. BTW, Snicklefritz is sleeping in my lap while I'm typing this.

      Delete
  6. Your Razzle Dazzle quilts turned out wonderfully, Sylvia! They are just full of fun stuff to look at. And modeled adorably by the little guy, too! Sweet little kitty, too - I bet you're having a lot of fun with him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! We haven't had a kitten around here in 20 years, so it's been exciting.

      Delete
  7. Your pair of Razzle Dazzle quilts certainly dazzle with lively colour. Great photo props too, little grandson and tiny kitten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I have great photo "helpers"! They help with everything else I do, too!

      Delete
  8. Two great finishes - Razzle Dazzle looks like a very useful design. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lin! It's a little unusual, working with 60 degree triangles, but not too difficult. I was glad I made the rows one per month following the RSC, since the cutting and sewing took a lot of time.

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much, Juliana, that is so kind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Razzle Dazzle is fabulous! The designer named it well, because those triangles really do dazzle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. congrats on the finishes and great RSC quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I miss Quilters Newsletter! It had the best balance of quilting world news and patterns. The Golden Peak media group made a big mistake discontinuing QN -- Love of Quilting, McCall's,and Quiltmaker could be combined, as could the "easy quilts" magazines. Your rainbow triangles do indeed dazzle! (And thanks for the link to your block assembly method.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nann! Quilters Newsletter really was the best. There was so much to read in it!

      Delete
  13. Wonderful quilts, cute little boy, and I love the kitten playing with its toes. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable quilts and supercute models!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Preeti! They are mostly very patient with having their photos taken. Except for a wild little kitten! I have to wait until he falls asleep.

      Delete
  15. Wow, those Razzle dazzles look great and such cuties using them.
    !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! The quilts have been toddler and kitten tested and approved.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!