Saturday, July 22, 2023

Blocks, Bags, and Books

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!  I'm glad you stopped by.


Today's red blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge are my Uneven Nine Patches, aka Puss in the Corner.  Instead of a cat, this block has dinosaurs and books in the corners which is even more fun.  I'm not sure what sort of snake is in the middle, but it looks friendly.

There are twelve of these blocks:  six with dark centers and six with light centers.  When I set them into quilts at the end of the year I will alternate between light and dark, which makes a sort of 4 patch where they come together.

Here's the second set.  The blocks finish at 8.5 in. and are made from 4 charm squares each.  (Click HERE if you'd like more info on how they're made.)

I just LOVE this love fabric, cut from a fat quarter I bought at a quilt show.  I paired it with a Valentine teddy bears print from the 1980s.  All cottons are welcome!

I tried something new this week.  I made a Cross Body Cell Phone Bag from a You Tube tutorial.  (Isn't You Tube amazing?  There are lessons and tutorials on almost anything you can think of!  And also some things you'd never want to know about!)  Click HERE for the link to the one I used, which is on The Sewing Room channel.
 
Here's what it looks like inside.  My phone fits snugly in any of the openings, but I like the one in the back best.  It's easiest to get the phone out quickly, plus the pockets in the front serve as padding.

I used a Velcro closure instead of a snap, which I like, but I needed to add the Velcro before I sewed the side seams in order to easily sew it on the machine.  Next time I'll know better.  And there is going to be a next time later today!  I'm making one for my mom so she can have her cell phone handy when she's gardening.

That's all the sewing I got done this week.  It was the good kind of busy around here.

My grand kids, Mr. H and Miss E, were here on Tuesday while their mom was in town taking a test for her job as a second grade school teacher.  We went to the park in the morning.  My dear old dog was overjoyed, but very tired at the end of the day.  By the way, that red thing on Little Guy's leg is a cast.  He broke his leg playing on the trampoline in his back yard a couple of weeks ago.  He's doing well with it, but it's a challenge.

My little guys could hardly wait to go to the library.  Buddy was so excited to find books on fishing, his favorite pastime.  

Little Guy's favorite is Thomas the tank engine.  We have read these books over and over, but he never gets tired of them.  He also loves the Pigeon books by Mo Willems, especially The Pigeon Needs A Bath.

I checked out this book (Kaffe Fassett's Quilts in Wales) at my mom's library while staying with her, and really loved it.  There are some good patterns in here.  My library doesn't have it, so I'll order it from Barnes and Noble.  Bonus--I'll get to keep it!

The kids picked these flowers in the yard, and I have been enjoying them for days.

What's ahead for you this week?  I hope you have time for the things you love to do.  Like quilting!

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy
 

 







 




15 comments:

  1. The blocks are adorable. I'll bet the "snake" is a Book Worm. LOL You had some bun this week with the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link to that Crossbody Phone Case, Sylvia! Sounds like a really good answer to the "where did I put my cell phone" question! Kudos on getting a bit of RED sewing done for the RSC. So sorry to hear about Little Guy's broken leg, but glad to see that he's still smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun quilt project and a fun new bag - cool

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is too bad about your little guy and his broken leg! At least the cast is red! Your red 9 patches are so fun - bright and full of energy. Your phone case is impressive! I am constantly amazed at what you can learn on YouTube. I'll be waiting to see what you make from your new quilt book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! He got to pick the color for his cast, and he chose red, his favorite color. I'm watching the mailbox for the new book, can't wait!

      Delete
  5. Great red blocks, and I love the cell phone bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! It was easy to make. And the flap is a charm square, which makes it easy to add another print.

      Delete
  6. The red puss in the corner blocks look great, so nice and colourful. Sorry to read about the little one's broken leg, what a thing to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! It breaks my heart seeing a three year old dealing with this, but he's handling it well and should get the cast off soon.

      Delete
  7. Love all those great reds!! and the cell phone bag - super great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! It's amazing what you can find on YouTube.

      Delete
  8. Poor Little Buddy. Guess he'll have that red cast off soon enough. I love to see the littles enjoy a library and the big folks too! Good job on your RED blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie! My little guy goes back to the doctor on Monday. Maybe he'll have the cast off when we go to the library this week!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!