Saturday, July 29, 2023

Last of the Red Hot Projects?

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

It's the last red Saturday for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I have enjoyed making these 16 patch blocks.  I often make them in just two fabrics, using the quick and easy tutorial by Cynthia of Oh Scrap fame (Click HERE), but this year I'm making each square in each block a different fabric.  More variety, more fun!

For some reason that I can't remember, I started making 5 of these each month, so here's the other one.  I'm throwing in new prints, old prints, anything red.

Even the cell phone bag I made for my Mom is red!  (Click HERE for the YouTube tutorial I used.)

The lining is a red and cream print.  I adjusted the directions to use a Velcro closure instead of a snap, and even though I had to do a little ripping, it all worked out.

When I was hunting around the internet for a good cell phone bag tutorial, I found an easy one for these cell phone stands.  The directions were very straightforward and quick to make.  (Click HERE.)  The title says "beanbag" but there are no beans in these, just poly stuffing in the top and rice in the base.  I sent the one in the center to my Mom and kept the blue one to use in the kitchen and the sewing themed one in (where else?) the sewing room.

Lined up like this, they look like hats to me.  Wouldn't they be fun in red with a pompom on top for Christmas?

Speaking of hats, I've started knitting winter hats for kids again.  PBS used to have a yearly drive, so I got used to knitting hats and mittens while traveling in summer and fall.  It keeps my hands busy while waiting in airports or riding in a car.  I got these three done while visiting my Mom.  The handy Moda bag was a prize I won a few years ago as part of the Hands 2 Help quilt drive (thanks, Sarah!).


 At the beginning of this month, I made the red blocks for this baby quilt, and I've been using the rest of them as leaders and enders while doing other sewing.  The block is a Buckeye Beauty variation in a six inch size.  I snapped this photo of the layout, something I do often so I can refer to it if blocks get moved or turned around (looking at you, Snicklefritz!).

Yet more red, and one of the reasons more quilting is not getting done!  One of today's goals is to make these cherries into jam.  Wonder if there will be enough left for a pie?

And then there's the pickle relish, shown here with "some assembly required".  I always buy the "misfit" pickles, since I'm just chopping them up anyway and they don't need to be pretty.  Neither do the peppers, which suffered some hail damage in a storm this week.

This is lots to do, I'd better get on it!

One last red photo, of Buddy and Snicklefritz, two of my favorite guys.

Have a lovely week, doing the things you love to do!  Happy quilting!

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap





 

 







8 comments:

  1. Love those red/white 16 patches--so neat--Once I get my tabletoppers quilted, I think I will move on to using leftover jelly rolls like yours.
    thanks for sharing the tute you used hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julierose! Using jelly roll leftovers is a great idea.

      Delete
  2. Your 16 patches are so fun in their various reds, Sylvia! It will be fun to see a rainbow of those in a quilt one day. I love the look of the Buckeye Beauty blocks all laid out, too. Homemade cherry jam and pickle relish sound delicious - I'll be right over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll set you a place! There might even be pie! I'm looking forward to putting all the RSC blocks into quilts. Won't be long now!

      Delete
  3. Your Buckeye Beauty blocks are coming along beautifully. Love your layout, mixing the colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! To me, it looks like ladders going every which way.

      Delete
  4. Love your checkerboard blocks! And buckeye beauty--such a great block for scraps!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! I love the old timey blocks, they're so versatile.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!