Saturday, August 19, 2023

A Small Finish, Yellow Blocks, and Glad to be Back

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Here's where I was last week--Oxford, England!  Libraries, museums, and book stores, oh my! We had a wonderful vacation, but I won't bore you with all the details.  I might include a few sewing/quilting related things here and there, but no travelog, I promise.  (BTW, the photo above is of the Radcliffe Camera, which was built in the 1700s to house the Radcliffe Science Library.  Camera in this sense just means "room".)

Here's the small finish, this baby quilt for donation.  It measures 42 in. square, and is based on a pattern in this book:  The Big Book of Baby Quilts.

There are lots of cute patterns in the book, as I'm sure you can tell from all the post it notes I have stuck in it.  Here's the pattern, which they call Over the Rainbow.

I changed it a little, of course, as I almost always do.

The blocks are the same, but I arranged the blocks in this layout by color.  The blocks that look pink are actually orange in real life.

My quilt has only one border, this cute ocean print with whales and fish.  I had just enough of this little scrap for this project.  (Don't you love it when it works out like that?)

There are scraps of other ocean-themed prints in the blocks.  Sea horses, colorful fish, whales, anchors, etc. make their appearance.

Plus pirates!  Arr, matey!  I hope it goes to a kid who loves the ocean.

August is yellow month at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  Lots of yellows came out to play this week in these Bricks blocks.

This parrot fabric has been in LOTS of my quilts since I bought it while on a retreat.  I can't believe there's any left, I'm always so glad to find a few more scraps of it.

Yellow month for the RSC had me pulling out fabric from everywhere, looking for novelty prints.

Did you notice this one?  It's sushi!  Can you believe I have a whole yard of it?  This is the first time I've used it.  I don't think kids will have any idea what it is, but their parents may be puzzled by what it's doing in a quilt.  Looks delicious, especially the salmon!

After more than a week away, we're adjusting to the time again, and glad to be back.  

We really missed our little guys.  Buddy is sporting some cool sunglasses.

And Little Guy is testing out the noises he can make with kitchen stuff.  Yeah, back to normal!

Finally, a little inspiration.  I took this photo of a Rainbow Zebra crossing in Oxford, near West Gate Shopping Center.  The center is the usual black and white crosswalk, and the sides have been painted in rainbow colors.  The rainbow supports LGBT+ rights, and the center remains black and white to help visually impaired people see the crossing clearly.  A great compromise, I thought!  And possibly an image that could somehow work on a quilt?

Have a lovely week, everyone!

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Cynthia at Oh Scrap






 











19 comments:

  1. Since I don’t travel much, I like travelogues, so have at it if you’d like. Vicarious travel for some of us and others can just skip. :) The baby quilt is adorable, and your yellow work is making me have second thoughts about skipping RSC this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JanineMarie! As for the RSC, there's always next year. It's coming right up, or so it seems when the kids start back to school next week!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Astrid! I found it stuffed in my stash, I had forgotten all about it, and it turned out to be just what I needed. Does that count as justification for having a ridiculously large stash?

      Delete
  3. I would love to know more about your trip, Sylvia - travel is never boring to me! Meanwhile, your quilt finish is beautiful! I really like how you arranged the colors. Fun yellow prints and fun little Buddies, too - I bet you were missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! The little guys had a short trip with their mom (dad was out of town) and couldn't wait to tell us about staying in a hotel.

      Delete
  4. Glad you enjoyed Oxford, not too far from where I live but we haven’t been for ages. Your newly finished quilt is lovely, so much for a child to look at. Your variety of fabrics is amazing. And some yellow RSC work too. The boys must have been excited to see you home from your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! We loved our visit, there's so much history there. And as a retired librarian I always wanted to see the Bodleian. Our little guys were eager to get back into their routine, after being on a short vacation with their mom.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, a trip to England! Such a wonderful country, so full of history. Do please tell us about your trip, where you went, was it a special occasion, etc. Surely you went to London too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jenny! We spent a week in Oxford, just seeing the sights and doing the museums. I had always wanted to see the Bodleian, as I'm a retired librarian and very into history. And then there was Blenheim Palace for a lovely day trip. We have visited London twice, once with the kids when they were school aged and once by ourselves. I would go back in a heartbeat!

      Delete
  6. Happy to know you had a great vacation. Radcliffe Camera looks like a wonderful place to visit. I'm in love with your baby quilt. So many lovely prints to study in it. Congrats! Oh how I remember; boys and noise. They always go hand in hand. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal! Vacation was great but I'm glad to be home. I hugged the stuffing out of our little boys and I don't even mind the noise!

      Delete
  7. cute novelty prints - i really like yellow

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must share more about your trip. Isn't amazing what you miss the most while you are away? Family is so important!!! Love your rainbow finish and the way you put your blocks together. --TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry! I may sprinkle in some photos from our trip in upcoming posts. I think I'm still processing what we saw/learned etc.

      Delete
  9. Oh I love travelogues!!!! bring it on!!! And looks like you still got a lot done!! I am impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! I love making baby quilts, they're so cute--and quick!

      Delete
  10. SEW impressed that you managed some YELLOW scrap time in the midst of recovering from your vacation, Sylvia! Looking forward to seeing more photos from your trip.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!