Friday, August 4, 2023

Happy About Yellow

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

August is yellow month at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and that means it's time to make yellow Happy Blocks.  My light novelty fabrics were going begging, so I've been using them for the centers, with the yellow strips surrounding them.

Yellow always makes me happy, but it can be hard to find nice yellow prints, so I was glad to uncover these in the Endless Stash.  I used any light prints for the middle that had something yellow in them.

Here's my favorite, a sewing themed print, with a nice yellow iron.  After lots of problems with irons in the past, I never take mine for granted any more!  I give her a little pat before plugging in and encourage her to hang in there, especially during a long cutting session.  Irons are quilters' friends!

The Happy Blocks are making me happy!  Here's more happy stuff.

Our Little Guy got his cast off!  He's so glad to be able to play in water again, especially since it's been so hot here.  He and Buddy were making pretend "coral reefs" and shark habitats.  And sometimes dunking their feet in the water.

The pickle relish is done for the year.  I always love to see the jars lined up on the shelf, ready for mixing into potato salad, tuna salad, egg salad, etc.

I almost forgot what a pain it is to pit cherries!  It took all weekend, off and on.  But now the cherry jam is done, there are two quarts of cherries in the freezer for pies, and I even got a pie baked.  (No picture, we ate it right away!)

All these fruits and vegetables came from the big Farmer's Market in West Bend last Saturday.  I also got peaches there from Michigan, that started out kind of hard but softened up in a paper bag on the kitchen counter. 

 I made them into what I call Peach Cobbler, pictured above.  There are lots of different yummy desserts called cobbler, of course.  To those of us from Indiana, a cobbler is a square or rectangular version of a pie, with a fruit filling, in which the crust can be patched and has no need to be pretty.  (Martha Stewart might need smelling salts if she saw it, sorry, Martha.)  Buddy liked it as much as we do, but Little Guy was not a fan.

What's making you happy this week?  I hope life is going well for you, and our quilting hobby is adding an extra spark of fun.

Here's another happy thought--we can check out all the quilty links below!

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday






14 comments:

  1. Love your yellows
    and wow - how your garden grows!! haha - or your canning cans? Everything looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! And thank goodness for the farmers market, I'm only growing berries this year.

      Delete
  2. Pretty yellows,I do the rainbow challenge every yr too,your pickels relish looks delicious,through the years I've made jellies & jams out of everything but never tried the cherry,now I'm getting the urge to cann something 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it, Helen! It's lots of work, but a year's worth of relish is done in a day! I love having good stuff on hand as needed. Maybe that's why I keep adding to the Endless Stash!

      Delete
    2. What a great collection of interesting centres for your yellow Happy Blocks. You must have enjoyed searching through your stash to find all those fabric scraps.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Linda! I think finding the scraps is half the fun!

      Delete
  3. Your yellow Happy Blocks are just so adorable--so bright and cheery!!:))) That cobbler looks yummy--Have a great weekend
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your happy blocks are definitely happy, Sylvia, and I love that yellow iron! Hooray for Little Buddy getting his cast off - I bet that was hot and itchy. Your homemade things look yummy - especially the pickle relish. Peach cobbler sounds wonderful, too. We have Colorado peach season here right now and it is definitely something to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a luxury to have good peaches! The ones in the grocery store here are awful--hard as rocks but never ripen, just get rotten.

      Delete
  5. can you share your relish recipe? i'm intrigued by the thought of adding it to different salads: tuna, potato, ect... never heard of that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jennifer, sorry to take so long to reply. The recipe I use came from the Ball Blue Book (from the Ball Canning Company). This link is essentially the same recipe:
      https://www.simplycanning.com/pickle-relish/
      I double the recipe, and can mine in pints instead of half pints. Good luck!

      Delete
  6. I do believe those are the happiest Happy Blocks I've seen!! Well done! Oh my! All you ladies that can! I don't, though I have made jelly and did can peaches once a long time ago. Just the two of us, seems to be no need. I will always take a jar of chokecherry jelly from my SIL, or a jar of Christmas Jam from a quilting friend. And peach cobbler?? Yes please!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! I like canning, although it's a lot of work! My favorite part is having the foodstuff ready on the shelf, especially when we get a snowstorm.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!