Saturday, August 31, 2024

Jumping Jacks And The Last Saturday of Orange

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!  Thanks for stopping by!

The grandkids are back in school, this time both of the little ones go all day.  You'd think this would mean more time for quilting, right?  And it would, if I wasn't so far behind on jobs I need to do around here.  I did get this little Jumping Jacks quilt finished Friday morning.

The pattern came from this book, Quilts in Wales by Kaffe Fassett.  I enjoy his quilt books, and usually get them from the library, as they're kind of expensive.  The fabrics are wonderful, the photography is lush, so they're great to dream over even if you never make anything from them.  This one had several patterns I wanted to try.  After returning it to the library, I just had to have my own copy.

As you can see, this is a simple quilt to make.  The block is often called Hour Glass, and is made of 4 triangles.  Mine is smaller than Kaffe's, and I used the Companion Angle ruler to cut the triangles.  

For the triangles, I used only Kaffe Fassett fabrics and solids.  The music note fabric was just for fun, and the border is a non-Kaffe print.  Many years ago, my friend Debbie C. (hi, Debbie!) introduced me to Kaffe Fassett fabrics at a quilt show.  She makes amazing art quilts, and these prints bursting with color have lots of impact.  At the time, I was mostly making reproduction quilts.  I loved browsing in booths that displayed the fabrics, but I wasn't sure how I would use them.  That has changed!

Here's the back, a colorful bug print given to me by a friend.  It was recycled from a tablecloth!  The binding is a solid aqua.  I'll be donating this quilt locally.

Of course there are orange blocks in the quilt!  I really love orange.

Orange month at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is always one of my favorites.  I had lots of fun piecing these bits and crumbs onto my grocery receipts.  I'm starting to think of some ideas of how to use these strips in quilts.  About time!  The end of the year is coming fast.

We recently renovated our tired 1970s bathrooms in neutral colors, mostly gray and white.  That meant I could accent with any color, and I wanted something bright for the en suite.  Of course I chose orange!  The shower curtain was the brightest one I could find around here, and I was surprised and delighted to find orange towels.  I bought the rug at Goodwill when my friend Joey and I went to Sun Prairie a couple of weeks ago.  
I love this color scheme for now, and I love how I can easily change it later if I tire of it.  Maybe next time I'll choose purple!


Happy Birthday again to our lovely granddaughter, now officially a teenager!  Shown here with her wonderful parents.

The sweet corn is ripe and delicious!  We may have a couple more weeks of it.  These ears went into the freezer after we ate a few for dinner.  I'm off to the Farmer's Market this morning to get a few more, and maybe some cucumbers for Bread and Butter pickles.

Thanks for reading, and have a wonderful week!

Cheers,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:


Angela at So Scrappy, home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge

Cynthia at Oh Scrap












16 comments:

  1. That is a great idea to get the Kaffe books at the library! I love this quilt made from his inspiration, and can totally see why it appealed to you. Such a cute finish! Your remodeled bathroom is beautiful, too. Happy new school year to all of your grands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a retired librarian, I always look for new books at the library first! It saves money, of course, but it also helps the library with their statistics.

      Delete
  2. I’m not a big fan of Kaffe fabrics, they overwhelm me. And I had a purple and aqua print that faded! So I am leary/ leery! ( Google says both spellings are correct’😳). I always love your bright happy quilts and the hourglass blocks are wonderful! Are you feeling a little, “empty nesty”? Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I'm so sorry about your faded fabric! I will have to watch out for that. I do miss the little boys, but I get to pick them up from school every day and hang out with them for an hour or so.

      Delete
  3. You do Kaffe Fasset proud. Love how you tame is large scale bright prints gentle tone on tone fabric. Quite effective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my your jumping jacks is so fun and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never would have guessed that was a Kaffe pattern! You always have the best novelty prints. I think I used to have some of that fabric with the music notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! I have bought the music notes print twice, both times at second hand sales. It just seems so happy

      Delete
  6. I too check out quilt books from the library! It is a great way to sample different techniques and artists without spending a cent! I love your finish. .. it is so bright and happy!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry! Our library also has an annual book sale. I have found great bargains there for just a few dollars.

      Delete
  7. Your Kaffe quilt is wonderful! Of course I'm delighted when people get quilt books (and other books) at the library....but when it come to Kaffe's books, I'm a completist and want to own them all. Tip: wait until they've been out for a while, then buy through Alibris or another used-book site. His designs are great and the fabrics/colors are delicious, but the instruction aren't always the most logical. I know what you mean by tired bathroom decor. When we redid ours (2020 and 2021) we chose gray cabinetry, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nann! I agree about buying used books. We have a Half Price Books near us that's fun to browse. Also agree about the instructions! Have a great day!

      Delete
  8. We had a wonderful day away! So happy to see my Friend again & the Shopping, food, desert & Ice cream topped the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really did! Even though I have apparently forgotten how to each an ice cream cone (hint--lick quick!). Thanks, Joey!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!