Saturday, September 7, 2024

Butterflies, More Kaffe, and Black Cats

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Does this butterfly quilt look familiar?  I finished the top a while back, made from a UFO started by an unknown quilter.  The project was passed on to our quilt group with the request that we finish and donate it to a charity of our choice.  (Click HERE for more details on the quilt.)

I made the top, but I knew my primitive quilting skills would not enhance it.  These butterflies deserved to fly!  Luckily, we have several very talented long arm quilters in our group.  Our own Nancy Queen of Scraps came to the rescue and did the lovely quilting.

I had it back to bind it, and got that done this week.  I hope the person who gets it can enjoy it for many years to come.

Here's yet another Kaffe Fassett quilt made from my scraps!  I adore these fabrics.  Recently I was cutting up scraps I was given, and discovered a bunch of small rectangles of Kaffe fabric.  I trimmed them to 2.5 in. x 3.5 in., and added in more from the stash.

The light green with the light blue dots is one of the fabrics from the scrap bag.  Most of the rest are from my stash.  The light print is definitely NOT a Kaffe print, just a fun one.

The pattern I used came from this book, Jelly Roll Quilts, by Pam and Nicky Lintott, copyright 2008.  They called it Sparkling Gemstones.  I changed the sewing a bit (they used strip piecing and I rarely do any more).  I have made this pattern several times, but never before with Kaffe fabric!

The border is a leftover Kaffe print from my own butterfly quilt, which is not yet finished (I'm looking for the perfect backing lol).  

Coincidentally, the backing for this Kaffe quilt is a purple print with butterflies.  I bound it with a solid purple.

So what about those black cats?


I didn't realize I had so many different black prints until I pulled them out for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  September's color is "dark", so this fits.

I freely admit I got carried away with these cat blocks.  It was fun using cat prints and matching up the black prints with the backgrounds (book print with READ fabric, Star Wars with a Star Wars background, pink and black cat fabric with Hello Kitty, etc.).


This block with the white paw prints on black is my favorite, mostly because of the kitten in the background fabric.  It looks just like my little Snicklefritz did when we brought him home from the shelter.
These black cats are going into their very own quilt.


I did get cucumbers at the Farmers Market last week, and made up 8 pints of Bread and Butter Pickles.  I feel good having these all done for the year, but it really did make the house smell like apple cider vinegar.

After we left the Farmers Market, we went to the Labyrinth Garden in Regner Park.  (Click HERE for more information and directions.)  Admission is free and it is open to the public throughout the growing season.  The labyrinth is maintained by volunteers, whose work is excellent.

I had never been to a labyrinth before, and was unsure what to expect.  It was so peaceful and quiet, walking the grassy paths.  And there were so many beautiful flowers.  I'm so glad we went, it was a very worthwhile experience.  

Our little boys got their school pictures taken last week!  These are just the proofs we will be ordering from.

Buddy is in 3rd grade!  He's looking so grown up.

Our Little Guy is starting to look like a big kid!  What is happening?  I don't feel any older!

These two are coming over later and spending the night while their parents have an evening out.  So I need to make up beds and bake some cookies.

Have a wonderful week!

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:


Angela at So Scrappy





  











12 comments:

  1. Ahhh the school pics are the best!! what cuties!!
    your butterfly quilt is really neat - that is such a cool block - it really looks like butterflies! and go you on the jelly roll quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! Those little boys are really growing up!

      Delete
  2. The butterfly quilt turned out great and I love your latest Kaffe design, too! It really does sparkle. The black and brights cats are so fun! They definitely do deserve their own quilt. Your pickles look yummy, too. Enjoy those buddies this evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! The sleepover was a good time! I took a nap after they went home.

      Delete
  3. Of course the black cats deserve their own quilt, you have some lovely fabrics here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute quilts and even cuter kids! Is the cat pattern the one from Missouri Star Quilt Co?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably similar, but I got my pattern from a magazine, American Patchwork and Quilting, the October 2023 issue. I changed it a little, didn't make collars.

      Delete
  5. Those cats are adorable... and so are the boys! They sure are growing up fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very handsome grandsons. Be still my heart - those black kitties are just so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! I hardly ever make anything with black, but it's a good color for cats! Even my kitty says so!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!