Saturday, October 26, 2024

Potato Chip Quilts: Can't Make Just One

Welcome to Treadlestitches!  

I'm back from a quilt retreat, and working on the Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks again. 

Two little quilts today!  These are made from the potato chip blocks I've been piecing since January,  4 each month, in 10 colors.  The blocks are 9 in. finished, and the quilts themselves measure 36 in. x 45 in.  

It was hard to decide how to divide the blocks into two quilts.  I didn't want them to be just alike.  Eventually I did it like this:  Quilt A has the brighter colored blocks (red, orange, yellow, green, dark/medium blue) plus black. 

Snicky the cat graciously "helped" me take pictures.

 The blocks are set side by side.  No borders, just binding and simple quilting.

I had so much fun making these blocks!  There are lots of cute fabrics in them.



Here's the back, a print I got second hand.  The character on it is named Noddy, and apparently comes from a British TV show for kids.  The binding is another find, probably from the 1990s.


I made Quilt B from the more pastel blocks (yellow, aqua, light blue, purple) plus the multicolored ones.  Same set, same quilting.  (I'm really in a quilting rut lol.  But this way gets the job done!)


The binding is a little wider than usual.  It came from a scrap bag I won at our guild's silent auction, and was already made.

More scraps from the auction!  Lots of these are really cute.

Like these very realistic pigs.  For one short season, we had feeder pigs on the family "farm" when I was a teenager.  Beware of the red ones, they are the meanest.

Fall has been beautiful here, with higher than normal temps, but it's cooling off now and letting us know winter is really coming.

We are still enjoying the local apples, fresh and in home canned applesauce.  Buddy asked me to take this picture of him with an apple slice.

I am still dazzled by last weekend's Quilt History retreat.  The presenter was amazing, we got to touch EVERYTHING (some quilts and textiles nearly 200 years old!), and all of us brought quilts from our collections to share and learn from.  I think it deserves its own post, which I may do in the next week or two.

One more thing I did this week:

As the sticker says, I voted!  We have early voting in Wisconsin.  Hubby and I cast our ballots on Tuesday.  There was quite a line, but it didn't take too long.  I was glad to see so many people coming out.  There's a message on the sticker for those who haven't voted yet.  The cow says, "Get a moove on!"

Thanks for reading, and have a great week!

Cheers,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:


Angela at So Scrappy, home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge

Cynthia at Oh Scrap

















8 comments:

  1. I just love your potato chip blocks, Sylvia! I made a few, but do not have enough contrast between the rounds and they're too mushy, if you know what I mean. In yours the colors just pop! Your retreat sounds like it was lots of fun. We voted, too - that's a great sticker! Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like your colour coordinated potatoe chip blocks, the really scrappy versions I've seen are just too much for me. Well done, two quilts done and dusted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your RSC potato chip quilts! I might add that to my list for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rainbow Potato Chips?! I don't recall seeing those block made in a rainbow of colors before (just light/dark random scrappy.) LOVE your version!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your bright fun colors in your potato chips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your version of the Potato Chip block is the best! The lighter inside round works magic! And your “I Voted” sticker is fantastic! I love seeing all the different “I Voted” stickers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first glance, I thought they were Framed Happy Blocks, but oops! they are Potato Chips. So much going on in each block but it doesn't call chaos. I love how you separated the colours. It makes 2 distinctive quilts. Bravo! P.S. Yesterday, I went to a thrift store and there were bags of fabric scraps with colourful prints for children. Instantly, I thought of you and how you would go for those bags. No, I didn't buy any. Take care. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice to see these happy blocks and gorgeous fall colours. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!